Up here in Canada, we have the option to move our planes into the "owner maintenance" category.
This allows the owner of an aircraft to maintain and sign out his work, and also allows the installation of parts and avionics that would only be allowed on homebuilt or experimental aircraft.
The aircraft that have moved over to "OM" have not had any noticeable decrease in value.

Your not allowed to install turbochargers, turbines, rockets, variable pitch propellers, increase the gross weight, or modify to a retractable gear, and a few other things.

It's basically a one way street though....once you've converted, it's going to stay there. Another restriction is you basically can't fly out of the country. The FAA will not allow "owner maintained" aircraft to fly in their airspace. ( For this exercise let's just forget about all those RV's flying around the US.)

I like to work on my airplane, (I pretty much do everything to it, my AME signs it out,) and have been considering moving into the "OM" category for a while......but I'm sitting on the fence, not sure if I should jump in.

If you had the opportunity to do this would you?