Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 150 v 160hp

Post Thanks / Like

Default 150 v 160hp

Seems silly, but I cant find much telling the performance differences between the 150 and the 160...

anyone chime in with what would be expected? I don’t think it would be hugely noticeable improvement, but 10hp is 10hp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 150 v 160hp

It is difficult to compare performances between planes because of props, drag, rigging etc. I went to a high compression pistons but, I also had the cylinders ported and polished and I put a big prop on. My take off and climb performance improved by about 15 to 20 % depending on how accurately my measurements were made. There are lots of variables.

Going to higher compression pistons will give you improved performance and should be noticeable in Colorado. But, if you are trying to improve performance there are others things you might consider too. Cut weight, change props, send your cylinder into LyConn.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I realize there is a ton of other things that imapct performance, my situation is the aircraft I am likely buying is a 160hp. I think. But if it's actually a 150, what might that mean for me? Anything I can do to improve it here in CO would be nice. I'll of course learn the airplane and get comfortable. But I want to make sure I'm not taking the wrong first step if the 150 is far less Superior or has less performance upgrade potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the days of 80 octane gas, lots of folks replaced the O320B engines with O320A engines to be able to use the cheaper gas. The earlier version of the Type Certificate even had the O320A series engines as an option on the PA-22-160 (not the other way around though). I’ve owned a PA22-160 and flown -135s, 150s, and 160s. Each one is incrementally better. How much better is subject to lots of factors not necessarily related to the engine. I had my -160 set up for banner towing, and regularly flew out of a 600’ strip at sea level. I was running a52 or 53” pitch prop. Wouldn’t cruise very well, but great climb! You mention you are in CO, so altitude must be your concern. Since all are normally aspirated, that extra 10hp won’t do you much good as engine performance is a function of density altitude.

Just remember, you can’t just hang a 160 engine on a PA-22-150. You will need some approved data to do that (STC, DER Approval, Field Approval).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Roger that. And yes DA is always on my mind. Luckily the bird and myself will be moving back to AK in a few years!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Seems silly, but I cant find much telling the performance differences between the 150 and the 160...

anyone chime in with what would be expected? I don’t think it would be hugely noticeable improvement, but 10hp is 10hp
    I have the 160, but just got her. From everything I gather there isn't much, except efficiency. The higher compression ratio gives you that. How much? I don't know. I'm interested in seeing others answers.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I had 150 hp cylinders on O-320-B2B for 18 years.(made it a C2B) In January I put new Continental 160 hp cylinders on and kept the same prop, 58”. (Converted back to B2B) I noticed right away much quicker acceleration on the runway. I also saw also saw about a 50% or more increase in climb rate. Flying at the same rpm in cruise I used with the 150 I see about a 10% decrease in fuel flow, about a gallon an hour.

The Coninental cylinders cool better and are better balanced in CHT and EGT than the Superior Millenium cylinders I took off. Also, probably due to the better balanced breathing I noticed less vibration.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-18-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I had 150 hp cylinders on O-320-B2B for 18 years.(made it a C2B) In January I put new Continental 160 hp cylinders on and kept the same prop, 58”. (Converted back to B2B) I noticed right away much quicker acceleration on the runway. I also saw also saw about a 50% or more increase in climb rate. Flying at the same rpm in cruise I used with the 150 I see about a 10% decrease in fuel flow, about a gallon an hour.

The Coninental cylinders cool better and are better balanced in CHT and EGT than the Superior Millenium cylinders I took off. Also, probably due to the better balanced breathing I noticed less vibration.
    Wow
    Impressive numbers. Soon to be my 320 is a narrow deck but with wide deck cylinders? Not sure what that means. And still not sure what pistons are in it. Not much paperwork from it back then. 1993 last overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post

Continental makes cylinders for Lycoming engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

they bought ECI and mostly now a name change
    "Progress is our most important problem"