Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

I'm starting off with the engine. Lycoming O-235. I got the engine tore down, no major surprises inside, which was nice. I am going to try to post updates about once a week during this build.

Post Thanks / Like

I got all steel parts cleaned up and measured, the cam and crank are a little under standard and will have to go out, everything will get NDT completed locally. I also inventoried and labeled all the parts for the tail kit from wag aero.

Post Thanks / Like

If we time this right, I could be getting my Vag off the rotisserie around the time you plan on starting your fuselage; you are welcome to use it. I'd rather see it be used vs. just torn apart.
    Also, I've added a left side door to my Vag; I built a fixture to produce either produce/repair both the left & right side vagabond doors.

IMG_0545.jpgIMG_2423.jpgIMG_2504.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me. So this week I fit and welded up the vertical fin and epoxy primed it. I also cleaned some more engine parts and primed and painted those. Got alot done so far. Waiting to hear back about crank and cam at Aircraft specialties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment on the welds. So this week I closed the ends of the elevator trailing edge tubes, they came open from wag aero. I added linseed oil and welded caps on them. I also got the rudder tack welded together and cleaned up some more engine parts and painted a few intake tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Progress was a little slow this week, I had 3 trees cut down and split all the wood with the help of some friends. I did manage to finish the rudder with beacon bracket on top and nav light bracket on rear, finishing with epoxy primer. I also got my crank, cam, rods, crank gear, and tappets back from aircraft specialties, which wasn't cheap. I also went over a lot of the piper drawings for the colt, vagabond, and tri pacer. I decided to make a colt fuselage with control wheels, jackscrew and use aluminum ribs and spars for the wings. Next I will start the horizontal stabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Always glad to find other Wag builders. My web site has everything posted since day one of my 2+2 build; marty2plus2.com Another great resource is the wagbuiulders group on yahoo. Keep at it!
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

I did look at your website and it has alot of good photos and information. Thanks for posting all that. This week I cleaned all the engine hardware along with oil dipstick, and a couple intake tubes. I also welded up one horizontal stabilizer. Didn't get much progress the week before due to a tailwheel shimmy on my sport trainer. I had to order a locking pin that was worn out and get that back running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you painting the hardware? I usually clean, bead blast it and take it to the prop shop and have it plated and then baked to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement.