Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Missing rocker shaft thrust buttons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missing rocker shaft thrust buttons

Removed valve covers from a PA-22's O-320 yesterday to replace gaskets, and found that thrust buttons had never been installed in the rocker shafts. Are they required? I recently built a bigger experimental Lycoming and installed the thrust buttons.

There were definitely some grooves on the inside of the valve cover on this 320. Is it acceptable for the shaft to contact the cover? Or is a poly thrust button required?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Missing rocker shaft thrust buttons

I sure wouldn't want to fly engine without them. I would think it would eventually wear through the rocker cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the age of the Lycoming.... some of the old ones never had them and the rocker shafts were longer. They did eventually wear on the valve cover. That's why the factory went to the plastic plugs and a shorter rocker shaft.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tferraro View Post
    Depends on the age of the Lycoming.... some of the old ones never had them and the rocker shafts were longer. They did eventually wear on the valve cover. That's why the factory went to the plastic plugs and a shorter rocker shaft.
    Yep I had a 1968 Cardinal in 1979 with 1100 hours that the shaft wore a hole in the valve cover. The engine had never been messed with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BPL View Post
    Removed valve covers from a PA-22's O-320 yesterday to replace gaskets, and found that thrust buttons had never been installed in the rocker shafts. Are they required? I recently built a bigger experimental Lycoming and installed the thrust buttons.

There were definitely some grooves on the inside of the valve cover on this 320. Is it acceptable for the shaft to contact the cover? Or is a poly thrust button required?
    Went throughout the tear down and build up classes by Lycoming at Oshkosh. Yes, you need them. Both instructors made a big deal about removing and replacing them during the classes. Apparently they find many engines with them missing.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Guess the point is that the Teflon buttons require a shorter rocker shaft, you cannot use them with the longer shafts. Also, if you don't mind using aftermarket rocker covers, Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa have them for around $20 each. I see on ebay guys are asking way over that for used ones.....that say Lycoming....Seems like a no brainer to replace rusted or worn rocker covers at that price. (SL61247 $20.95) they look cad plated. I put them on without paint and have not had any corrosion problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into this doing an annual on a 172M/0-320-E2D last week, the 1970 Lycoming IPC shows PN 60401 (will measure and post ASAP) which is longer than the current PN LW-13790 which was in all -360 parallel valve engines (and is 4 inches in length). These rocker covers have definite wear from the shafts.