Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat front Strut

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flat front Strut

Went to go flying yesterday and found the front strut completely compressed. No oil leaking. I pulled the tail down and added some air to see if I could still get where I wanted to go, and it held, but was flat upon landing. Going back out tonight to put air in it and hit it it with some soapy water and see if, or where it is leaking from. Hopefully just a valve.
    Any other reason it would be down? We just got done with near 90 degree weather and dropped to as low as 60, and now back up in the 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flat front Strut

Air leak without oil is likely the valve or the o-ring inside the top of the strut.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

No air leak. Holds air at least minutely. Would low oil cause this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So you don't have any oil leaking, just air? I would leak check and see where the air is going.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use the leak detector on the entire upper strut or just the valve? I haven't worked a PA-22 nose strut in quite a while but my guess is an upper seal (item 16 on the Univair interactive parts manual) is the culprit. http://www.univair.com/content/partc...dex.html#p=129

Is there oil in the strut? Low enough may leak air without pushing fluid but I think it would have to be nearly or completely empty.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 08-07-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

The strut is "wet" and has been, but no notice of oil on the ground or front wheel. I'm going to service it with oil and go from there. I guess a rebuild kit on order would be my next and most likely eminent move.

Post Thanks / Like

I got almost a pint of oil into the strut. It holds up and air just fine now, but obviously it is leaking, so will have to get it rebuilt. At least I know what the problem is and am no longer grounded. We'll see how long this servicing lasts and then get the rebuild scheduled as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01Delta View Post
    The strut is "wet" and has been, but no notice of oil on the ground or front wheel. I'm going to service it with oil and go from there. I guess a rebuild kit on order would be my next and most likely eminent move.
    Here is a clue perhaps. If it went flat while in flight, that's when it's fully extended. Possibly a scratch or corrosion at the area contacting the seal when fully extended. Tid down the tail and carefully examine the finish of the strut at full extention.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

It actually went flat over the course of a week sitting on the ground. I did inspect the strut today when I had it fully extended when filling with oil and it is in nearly perfect shape. got to be a seal.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the same problem with my strut, finally replaced the complete valve assy, and thought may as well reseal the strut, inspect and lubricate the bearing. I have a question, how tight should the spanner typr nut on the top of the strut be?