Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Floppy pilots window fix?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floppy pilots window fix?

Just purchased my first airplane. (54 pa22/20) and the small hinged window on the pilots side has the bracket to open it. But there doesn't seem to be anything that holds it open. Is there a spring that maybe I am missing? Or is it just out of alignment? Can someone explain how it 'locks' in the open position?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Floppy pilots window fix?

IMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpg
    Picture of open and closed positions from a 1958 year model. Does yours look like this?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_1186.jpg
    Does it have weather stripping installed? I don’t think it will stay closed without this.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like that latch. It closes ok I believe, but won't stay open.

Front door weather striping is lacking. Partly why it doesn't close solid. I'll be addressing that as soon as I cam

Post Thanks / Like

Speed,
    welcolm to the wonderful world of pacer ownership.

The next time that window pops open make a quick glance toward the ball at the bottom of your turn coordinator. When that ball is about 1/2 a ball out or so your window will pop open.

There is a way to snug it up. It over centers to both stay closed and stay open. It just needs a little finessing. By tightening the screws at each end of the latch and the one in the middle for some added friction it should stay.

Posting a foto or two with each of these kind of questions will go a long way toward being able to answer, you know, worth a thousand words.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Haha! I'll get some photos if I can't figure it out. Probably just needs adjusted at the window frame part. Noticed the trim was a bit out of place. I expect it loosen up and moved. Then someone tightened it in place and didn't ops check it