Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original equipment?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Original equipment?

Made an offer on a plane that has been in storage for 45 years, is the panel the way it came from Lockhaven? I am not sure what is over there on the pilot's left side panel just west of the tach, has some kind of crank handle and two small instrument heads, the copilot has one too. Anyone here old enough to have used them care to explain what and how they work? If you right click on the pic and click view image it opens the full higher resolution picture.

Last edited by SMO22; 08-26-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Original equipment?

Old comm-navs Looks like the one on the right has 5 crystals.

Post Thanks / Like

They look like Narco VHT-3 Superhomer on the right and MK-2 Omnigator on the left. Been a long time ago. Have had them in my C-170 and a PA-12
    The MK-2 had Whistle Stop Tuning.

Post Thanks / Like

Something is wrong here. From the factory the radio was only installed on the left pilots side. The fuel line fitting for the line coming from the right tank is about 8 inches forward of the instrument panel on the right. The Superhomer was a vacuum tube radio that was about thirteen inches long and thirteen pounds. They must have moved the fuel line to get the radio in or did they go over it? In the prints the radio was installed on a flat tray that laid on top of the fuselage cross tube and the radio faceplate screwed into the panel at four places. If you look closely both radios have what looks like a cover below them. One of the covers has two protruding screw heads, which makes it look like they made a small piece to cover the glovebox opening. Normally the radio faceplate and glovebox doors are in line with the bottom instrument panel cover. Also, there is another box on the left and one at the firewall, and a small panel near the throttle what is all that? The edging on the panel is correct, the bead should go up not on the instrument panel edge face like Clyde Smith does.

Post Thanks / Like

It it a PA-20? N & Ser. #'s? That looks like a great prospect for a resto to near original! Keep us posted!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

The box on the firewall and under the pilots seat are the power supplies for the radios. I too wonder about the fuel line behind the panel. I would guess the radio is over the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-CAS View Post
    The box on the firewall and under the pilots seat are the power supplies for the radios. I too wonder about the fuel line behind the panel. I would guess the radio is over the line.
    Drawing 13350 is for the Lear radio system. The box on the firewall is the Lear omni motor, no idea what that is and the box on the floor under the pilots seat is the Lear ADF. The radios are clearly NARCO units, drawings for the NARCO does not have any power boxes. So....why are the power boxes Lear on Narco radios?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 08-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Narco radios like the ones in the picture. They also have black power supplies with them. One I removed from a project completely with wire harness.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers on the radios, I would like to see them work, looks interesting quite different than anything I've used. No response the past 3 days, apparently my offer did not impress them. Some more pics from the ad showing fuel line routing and radios you asked about. I did not offer anywhere near what they're asking, if your interested here is the link https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/avo...678433282.html

Last edited by SMO22; 08-26-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That plane is a time capsule!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid