Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy a project?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Buy a project?

The unknowns are why. And I didn't want to chance it getting held hostage 800 miles away.Until yesterday I thought it had the heads that had to be removed and those couldn't be ferried. And he is done trying to get an annual. So trailer is where I landed.

Post Thanks / Like

SMO22 I like the times on the first one, but I need or want a 150hp. The second one actually looks good, but airframe logs missing before 99, 25 year old covering, 5k time airframe worry me.plus no transponder. I check ebay,barn stormers, trade a plane and Craigslist just haven't found what I was looking for. Or it gets sold before I can get it looked at. I missed a nice 59 for $24k that had newer covering but 1700 smoh, but even it had duct tape on the wing already.That was the reason I even considered the 57 I was looking at. I figured fix now or fix later. I didn't realize how hard it was to buy a plane till I started looking, or maybe I'm just making it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    SB819 could be another money pit.
    The rust and corrosion issue is one of the reasons I even considered a project. The only way to be sure it's done is to do it. I've read about beautiful planes that had this issue. safety is a bigger concern to me than money.. but I don't want to get in over my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    SMO22 I like the times on the first one, but I need or want a 150hp. The second one actually looks good, but airframe logs missing before 99, 25 year old covering, 5k time airframe worry me.plus no transponder. I check ebay,barn stormers, trade a plane and Craigslist just haven't found what I was looking for. Or it gets sold before I can get it looked at. I missed a nice 59 for $24k that had newer covering but 1700 smoh, but even it had duct tape on the wing already.That was the reason I even considered the 57 I was looking at. I figured fix now or fix later. I didn't realize how hard it was to buy a plane till I started looking, or maybe I'm just making it that way.
    Oh ok, I thought you wanted to fly, sounds like a project is what you are looking for. I've read here that sb819 not being done will not make the plane fall out of the sky, mine hasn't had it done, but was rebuilt in the 90's and I see no indication presently of a problem. My plane doesn't have logs prior to the rebuild in the 90's but it flys real nice. A good background check tells you if it had damage, but even with logs doesn't tell you for sure if it has been wrecked, I know a plane that was ground looped but the logs don't mention it....

Love flying my plane, working on it not so much LOL I do understand wanting a big engine, but the little ones fly nice to. Guess it all depends on what you really want, but if the plane is in annual and being flown regularly it is probably in good shape, but always a gamble.
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-15-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Oh ok, I thought you wanted to fly, sounds like a project is what you are looking for. I've read here that sb819 not being done will not make the plane fall out of the sky, mine hasn't had it done, but was rebuilt in the 90's and I see no indication presently of a problem. My plane doesn't have logs prior to the rebuild in the 90's but it flys real nice. A good background check tells you if it had damage, but even with logs doesn't tell you for sure if it has been wrecked, I know a plane that was ground looped but the logs don't mention it....

Love flying my plane, working on it not so much LOL I do understand wanting a big engine, but the little ones fly nice to. Guess it all depends on what you really want, but if the plane is in annual and being flown regularly it is probably in good shape, but always a gamble.
    lol no I don't really want a project but was willing to buy one if that is what I needed to do. If I was going to be me solo all the time and didn't want to fly or camp some back country some times I'd jump on a 135 or even a colt. But last I figured me,wife and 16 year old son come in at around #500 then add gear and fuel that 150 with a 58 pitch prop sounds nice
    If I could get the plane patch the paint and get it to annual and kick the recover can down the road, that was what I was looking for..as long as it was safe.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 09-15-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fj,

Thanks for this thread. It should be a help for any first time buyers.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

From a guy who did exactly what you are thinking.
    I bought a plane out of Yakima WA For about 13K. since then I have put about 25k into her. Don't get me wrong -it is now a very nice plane, but If i had to do it over again- no way( and I love working on airplanes)
    Buy as much airplane you can afford and go fly. Let someone else spend the money on rebuild. A low purchase price at the beginning is not always the best. It can rapidly turn into a "snowball"

My 2 cents

Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the advice. Probably going to pass... and stop looking for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Right in your backyard, $18,000. https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1317318

Post Thanks / Like

Many have said the same thing in different words. Get yourself a part-time job, put all of that money onto a savings account, and buy yourself a good airplane. Advice I did not take myself.