Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel line replacement and possible gascolator upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel line replacement and possible gascolator upgrade

At the moment, my stock gascolator isn't leaking (I don't think, haven't flown her yet). However the brake master cylinder has dented and abraiding the fuel line from the fuel selector to the gascolator. Obviously I will be replacing the fuel line, but I am curious if now would be the best time to swap the gascolator out as well? I'll already be in the area.

Also, yes, I'll move the red electircal wire that is wrapped around the brake pivot bar. IMG_20180926_154712961.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuel line replacement and possible gascolator upgrade

You can’t go wrong with a Steve’s gascolator. It is top notch and makes maintenance a breeze. It’s also a big safety improvement. It’s always the first thing I add when I buy a new plane.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    You can’t go wrong with a Steve’s gascolator. It is top notch and makes maintenance a breeze. It’s also a big safety improvement. It’s always the first thing I add when I buy a new plane.

I totally agree.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

as long as you have to replace the line from selector to firewall connection, may as well do the gascolator.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always have trouble getting an original bail type gascolator to seal after checking it at annual. The hardest part about replacing it is disconnecting the fuel line behind the firewall and installing that fitting. Since you are already there makes perfect sense to me as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue with my fuel line. Any suggestions on how the line should be rerouted?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook11 View Post
    I have the same issue with my fuel line. Any suggestions on how the line should be rerouted?

Spoke with Steve yesterday. I intend to bendy own and just give it a joggle down towards the pivot of the master cylinder. Then joggle back up to mate with Steve's gascolator (purchased yesterday)

Post Thanks / Like

Worked in the hangar a bit today. And I'm curious how best to get at the fuel selector valve to remove the fuel line to the gascolator. I read that the easiest way to change the valve is to cut a round hole in the interior panel smaller than the cover. Is this truely the best way? I don't see much access from the outside. And taking off the whole interior panel looks to be much more complicated and time consuming than I expectedIMG_20181003_165119916.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the fabric surrounding the fuel selector cut from the center back [think cutting a pie] which makes the fabric a narrow point at the center and wider toward the outer dimension of the circle. You can leave those pointy pieces and place the cover over when you are done. Do NOT cut larger than the cover unless you are going to replace or add another larger cover. Better eat your wheaties when you go to disconnect that fuel line. Those lines are pretty darn tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I have seen the fabric surrounding the fuel selector cut from the center back [think cutting a pie] which makes the fabric a narrow point at the center and wider toward the outer dimension of the circle. You can leave those pointy pieces and place the cover over when you are done. Do NOT cut larger than the cover unless you are going to replace or add another larger cover. Better eat your wheaties when you go to disconnect that fuel line. Those lines are pretty darn tight.
    Ohh good thinking. Better than cutting out a section. I'll bring my brake line wrenches and hope I have the right size. Can a person wiggle that line out from there ya think?