Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about PSA MODEL 918 LED TAIL LIGHT TL918

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wondering about PSA MODEL 918 LED TAIL LIGHT TL918

Hi Folks,
    Have any of you installed the PSA ENTERPRISES MODEL 918 LED TAIL LIGHT TL918
    It looks like it would fit in the rudder hole to replace the standard Whelen tail lamp assembly in a Tri-Pacer.
    It's not PMA'd, so would it be legal to install in a pre-FAA plane like a 1955 Piper that was certified under CAA?
    I like that its all sealed in polycarbonate (not to be confused with polycarbonite, ala Han Solo...)
    Anyway, reasonably priced at Spruce and since the lens cracked on my tail light and that's spendy as hell, just thinking about this alternative.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...SABEgIMSfD_BwE

Thanks,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wondering about PSA MODEL 918 LED TAIL LIGHT TL918

Glen,
    I've researched LED Position Lights on this site and the best link is here: LED Nav lights / strobe nav lights

Fairly long string but worth the slog wading through all of it. I now have non-PMA LED's in both red and green position lights and at the white tail position. I also have them (red) inside for night viewing of my panel instruments, and have replaced the left wing Taxi light with a non-PMA'd light. The landing light is the original incandescent type 4509, I think. Since installation, the reduced current demand really makes a difference when I go to idle after landing. I have a stock generator. Prior to that, the lights would basically dim to nearly out, inside and outside. Had to keep RPM above 1100 to see where I was going. I believe Steve and Gilbert and a few others have it right - generally speaking common sense should prevail, but the rules are intentionally vague for older planes like ours. See posts #23, 24 and on in that string - if in a hurry. The bottom line: Most interpret the FAR's to say, if you have sufficient light and don't create a fire hazard, it's ok to replace the original bulbs with just about anything that meets those criteria. philiplane may argue, tho. He's free to use whatever he likes, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Philiplane was adamant we had to use PMA/TSO bulbs. He was asked several times for a link to the TSO.. NO RESPONSE.
    I just went thru AS&S catalog and could find no incandescent bulbs that they said were PMA’d.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sub.
    Somehow I missed the thread you linked, thanks for that. Perhaps Steve can please merge this new thread into that older one.
    Unfortunately your comments did not answer my basic question, does the PSA 918 fit in a PA22 rudder?

Regarding comments in the LED lights thread, i installed the aero-lights but did not upgrade the wiring to coax/sheilded, and it generates an intense noise in my radio, so I'm looking for another solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I just read through the comments on the attached link in post #1

The last comment says it has the same footprint as the whelen tail light, so there is a good chance it'll fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sub,

What lights did you use for your interior lighting?

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Someone asked that question here and like Forrest posted it has the same footprint so will fit. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...SABEgIMSfD_BwE

I used the LED bulbs in my existing fixtures. You might review navigation lights in CAR3 for the fixture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Sub,

What lights did you use for your interior lighting?

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Greg,
    I don't remember and don't have quick access to my plane right now. It's 20 miles away. I remember buying two different types of interior LEDs, which was a good move. One was far too bright. They're cheap at 5 to 7 dollars apiece so I picked a couple of different wattages. The dimmest, lowest wattage Red LED worked best for me. It fit in the stock fixture, but I had to change the orignal hood/glare shield thing which had a lens in it. I used a PVC pipe glue-on union (slip-slip fitting) - forget the size... 3/4" I think -fit perfect. It just slips over the original metal body nice and snug. I used a file to put a notch in the right place so the original retention spring clip would retain the new hood. Still need to paint them flat black. They work so much better than the original its not even funny. I couldn't see much with the original light. The new LED's dim or get bright with the existing dimming knob and resistive load and they're perfect for me in about the middle of the brightness range. I can turn them up or down from there, but have never needed to do so.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

One little oddity of using the LED bulbs in those interior spot lights in my plane. When I click the transmit button on my radio the light bulb on the left side lights up very dimly. Took me a while to figure it out but the antenna wire (that passes the light in the wing root) radiates just enough and the LED's take so little juice to light, the bulb will come on slightly. With the original incandescent bulbs I'm sure it wasn't enough juice to make it even twitch.
    Originally thought it was was a short in the wiring somehow.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Just placard a "tx" next to it and viola - a transmit indicator!!

Man, that aeroleds suntail sure looks fine.........but 400 bucks?
    Last edited by pilot; 10-13-2018 at 03:48 PM.