Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Univair fuel caps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Univair fuel caps

Almost embarrassed to say I bought a pair of the Atlee-Dodge stainless fuel caps - https://www.univair.com/atlee-dodge/...-cap-assembly/ - and they look nice on the Clipper. Hemmed and hawed about it but figured since you use them every time you fly, and tired of looking at the mismatched Stant / Tractor Supply set I had. Peculiarly, the Univair catalog says they're good for J-3 thru PA-22, but the STC skips over the PA-16. Still good I guess... Cheers, Donn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Univair fuel caps

If it didn't bother you with the Stant caps why worry with aircraft approved (PA-16 could have been a typo miss)
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

After taking ownership of the Clipper, those fuel caps were my first hard lesson in the intricacies of paperwork. J3 through PA-22 it said but my IA pointed out that the PA16 was missing..

Post Thanks / Like

Minor modification? Why not.

Post Thanks / Like

If your old caps are the original Piper caps with the EATON stamp on the inside, don't throw them away, Piper used the same caps as Harley Davidson used on the Knuckleheads and Panheads in the 1930s - 1950s, this one just sold for $199. in this condition. Those guys that restore Harleys prefer the original caps and pay a lot of money when they find them... just dont say its a Piper cap and tell them it came off your 1948 Harley

Last edited by SMO22; 10-14-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that the Clipper does not sport Univair fuel caps but I am saying it was my first introduction to the PA-16 being missed off AMLs.
    With that in mind, for example, DakotaCub many parts are PMA'ed for all variants of the PA20/22 but not the PA16. The original part numbers between the PA20/22 and PA16 are the same but officially these parts cannot be used on the PA16. Is there a reason that the PA16 would have been missed off the AML? IS there an extra cost or duplication of paperwork that would have stopped what appears to be a simple addition to the AML when presenting the application to the FAA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Clipper falls between the cracks sometimes. Same fuel tank filler necks etc. Another good way to use AC23-27.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...PKwGwcbgOAg2lI

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Steve and SMO22 good info...