Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Thanks for your reply, mine is going to work but Its not quite factory and im not completely happy wit it yet. I call yall from time to time for advice. I told your dad as of right know I owe yall a half a truck load of steak dinners . Lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a couple of those in three pieces... the center rounded piece out of .020 formed over a pipe, bend flanges to the center of one end and rivet it on to flat .020 sheets... I’ll have to make a small example and post pictures...

I’ll take you up on the steaks..

Brisn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Some more progress photos...Mainly rudder trim system Installation... Lou bought a rudder trim kit from me several years ago... it is older with phenolic pulleys and painted steel brackets... I am keeping the pulleys and replacing the brackets with my stainless ones...

The system mounts on the square elevator guide tube under the panel...

There is a set of double pulleys mounted 5/8 inch back from the firewall tube..

The main trim wheel is mounted 3 inches aft of the panel and a detente pin and guide bushing is mounted 1 1/4 inches aft of the wheel...

The wheel, detent pin and spring are all installed at the same time...

Double pulley set installed at the firewall location..

Lou was originally going to install an 0-360 with constant speed prop on this airplane.... He modified the firewall with a “pocket” for the prop governor... since we are re-converting it to tricycle gear the 0-360 won’t fit... So I removed the pocket and installed a couple flat plates over the hole with a piece of firewall padding in between... the front piece is stainless while the back one is painted aluminum...

Installed the firewall, engine mount and nose gear... looks funny with the tail dragger gear...

Back to the rudder trim... upped my he old 1/16 cable to the updated 3/32 cable size..

Installing the trim cable system... 10 inch chain around the sprocket, springs and cables...

The cables cross under the panel and go through the double pulley...

The cables them run through a single firewall pulley at the top and a single pulley at the bottom of the firewall and are eventually hooked up to the rudder bars...

Pilot side rudder hook up needs to clear the fuel line... I have it mounted low for clearance...

Co-pilot side is mounted so the cable is directed to the rudder bar straighter..

Installed the strut and nose wheel fork...

Dad covering the main gear..

Other gear waiting for finish tapes...

Sorting out the electrical system... had to re-do a lot of it and order a few missing breakers...

Will be full when done...

Brian

Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 01-19-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    What did you use to cover the rudder trim springs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Brian,
    What did you use to cover the rudder trim springs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Nothing, once the system is tight they tuck up under there a little higher... have never had an issue with them being in the way on our Pacer...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    In the Picture it looks like a white tube or something. Must be the resolution.

Post Thanks / Like

Headliner stuff... slow but somewhat steady progress...

Making new headliner bows... the old U channel bows were just twisted and bent... Made these out of automotive 3/16 steel brake lines... it’s heavy wall tube that is already coated for corrosion protection... the stuff bends nicely too...

After I get them cut to length and fit to where I like them I remove them one at a time, flatten the ends, paint one end and drill them... the painted end is so I re install them the same way they came out... any color will do, I just had a can of yellow near by and used that...

Pre installation of the headliner... this one is from AirTex..

I ordered the headliner with just the rear 5 bow pockets sewn in since I have the skylight installed... the extra material will be used for trimming out the skylight opening... unfortunately, AirTex left out the zipper opening for inspecting the flap pulleys.. So I marked out where it needed to go and had a 12 inch zipper installed by a local upholstery shop...

A few days later and I have a zipper installed and headliner trimmed for length...

I installed the bows with #4 machine screws and stainless steel lock nuts...

Trimming and fitting before contact cement...

Clamps, clamps and more clamps...

It takes lots of patience to get it right... More next week..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

This is like rebuild school for those of us that are interested in how these go together..... thanks for the details, and looking forward to more!
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

More slow progress... Starting to get busy with Annual inspection for summertime flying season...

Glueing the headliner... normally I go behind the hat section angles and glue to interior fabric... since this airplane does not have interior fabric, I decided to glue it to the inside and all the way around the angle...

Glued around D window... the wool headliner will “shrink” with a steamer and all the wrinkles will go away... will do that after the glue dries for several days...

Getting ready to trim and glue the front...

And done...

Working on covering the roots... first made a paper template...

Transferred and cut material leaving a wide edge to wrap around the top, front and bottom..

Take your time and do careful trimming of this area to get a clean look...

The very back edge is folded over and glued down into the corner...

That’s all for now...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I might have missed it but what glue did you use?

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
    ― Victor Hugo