Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

The latest short wing to arrive in our shop... This one is a little different as a good portion has already been finished...

Some of you may know Lou Reinkens and Connie Stevens from the other Short Wing group.. Connie is a past president of the Short Wing Piper Club.. This airplane has been Lou’s baby project for the last 10 years or so...

Why do we have it to finish up..?? Well, unfortunately Lou had a stroke a year ago and can no longer fly.. So, he is giving the airplane to Connie...

All of the fabric work is done... Wings have been modified with Dakota Cub 24 gallon wing tanks and Stewart wing tips... Fuselage is converted to Univair tail wheel...

Now here is the interesting part.. Connie is not tail wheel certified but is real comfortable in her own Tri-Pacer... So, we are going to finish up Lou’s baby back as a Tri-Pacer... That’s right, re-conversion from tail wheel to nose gear...

It’s actually not going to be too hard to do as Lou never cut off the rear gear points for the Tri gear.. So all we have to do is cut out the new belly fabric formers that are added for the conventional gear and just bolt back on the Tricycle main gear and nose gear... Our thought is to see if we can legally make this aircraft a “convertible” where all the gear points are retained and it could be converted easily from one main gear to the next within a few hours... Still have to talk with FAA about that one though..

There are also a couple other minor mods that they want to incorporate... we are going to install one of our extended skylights and a rudder trim system...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Nice work so far!
    Sorry to hear one of our comrades has had a stroke, I hope he is in otherwise good shape and recovering.
    Glad the plane will remain close to him and his family.
    I like that upgraded panel with center stack, that would be so nice to have in my '55 PA22.
    Good luck to all concerned, this will be a nice PA22/20/22 when it's finished.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I threatened to make our project Tri-Pacer convertible. Just have to have the formers for both landing gear with some covers. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sorry to hear about Lou. Got to meet and visit with him at the Branson SWPC Convention.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty sure john w made his colt a convertible [the yellow one that's is pictured on the cover page at times]

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, shouldn’t be to hard to do. Kind of like floats in summer and wheels in winter. As long as you can come up with fairings for each configuration, W&B data for each, and a written procedure for the change it should be a piece of cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update..

Got the tri-gear striped down... going to use one of the spare nose gears I have laying around instead of the original one they had due to pitting in the chrome...

I have been working on / modifying Pacers and Tri-Pacers for a long time now and have never seen a T bar setup like this one... All of them, including the original -20 have had sprockets and a chain... this one has cables and pulleys.. checked my parts books also and they both reference the chain style... I do have a couple spare chain type control systems in storage so I can always swap this one out...

Anyone else see this type before.??

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Clyde Smith, from what I got from talking to him, that was the original setup and much faster aileron response than the chain and sprocket arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like

My 1951 serial 349 is set up that way.
    Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto what Wag-builder said. Had one here for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

That is how my 1950 PA 20 is set up - my drawings confirm this is correct