Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

I have been wanting to do an update to this thread to "catch up" to the current state of the project.. Unfortunately, I have been having issues with my phone and have had it lock up several times trying to upload pictures off of it.. Will try and get it figured out over the weekend...

Meanwhile..

Dropped off the Tri-Gear with the powder coat company to be blasted and primed... Have all the fabric patch work completed around the gear openings and skylight through White and also painted all of the interior exposed tubing Beige (light brown)... Ultimately the aircraft will be getting an AirTex interior so we picked some colors to match the Beige out of their catalog and forwarded that to Connie for final approval... Already have the Wool headliner from AirTex and will be installing that soon... Dad has been working on the gear pans and sheet metal "fillers" for the tail wheel gear openings... Once we get the main gear back we will put them on and get the aircraft upright and start installing the headliner, panel and electrical system...

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Trying this again... pictures...

Skylight fabric back in place..

Gear openings finished taped...

Wing root fabric back in place...

The aileron cables that run front to rear inside the wing root area needs more room so it will not rub into the eventual headliner material that will be glued into this area... to do that I add this piece of sheet metal with a sharp break and taped into place..

At this point the fabric has been patched and painted. Here we just finished painting all of the exposed interior tubing the same color that the panel was painted... beige..

Re-installed the rear aileron pulleys and made a “headliner” bow out of 1/2 inch U channel and installed with #4 screws... this bow is where the headliner will wrap and travel up to the skylight opening...

Made a sheet metal pulley cover for the front aileron pulleys... this is also a backing to glue fabric too for headliner backing...

I also made some corner pieces and installed them For the rear of the opening...

Glued in and stretched some poly fiber in the root area... this will be used as a backing to glue headliner material too...

Poly brush applied... this is as far as I take this fabric... the headliner material will be glued over this to trim out the opening...

While I was working on the wing roots, dad has been fitting the inner gear pans and started on filler panels for the tail wheel main gear openings..

This is the cover piece for the gear opening... this is just some scrap material that already had a nice curve formed in It for the edges... we will strip and paint them when complete..

To cover the gear fittings we will be making a couple of small blisters similar to this plastic one out of soft sheet metal and attach it to the filler plate...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 12-28-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple more from the other day...

Filler plates made... next is to strip off the old paint..

Put the tail wheel main gear back on temporarily so we could remove the rotisserie stand... going to be installing the electrical system and panel along with the headliner...

Putting the rudder pedals in to figure out how to mod them for the nose gear steering...

The rudder pedals moved back about one inch for proper articulation of the brake cylinders... here the pedal is full forward with full brake and the brake arm just touches the firewall tube... with the pedals forward the brakes would hit the firewall and not engage fully...

Here is our other problem... the Tri-Pacer steering rods are direct linked to the inside pedal uprights.. right where the brake cylinders are located... we are making a set of heavy steel plates to bolt onto the pedal webbing that will offset the cylinders for clearance..

Here I am holding one of the cylinders in the approximate location where they will be offset..

I will post more pictures of this mod once the parts are made..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lou and Connie’s PA22/20/22 project..

Friday night update and photos of the rudder pedal mods..

Both inner rudder pedals with the new brake arms bolted onto the outer webs...

Closer View of the modified part...

Here I am setting up the lower plate to weld on a new bracket for the brake cylinder...

Got the new brackets tacked into place..

Lower brackets fully welded in place...

Painted the arms and bolted on...

Another view...

Painted the lower plate and installed the pedals... also made and welded on attach straps for the steering rods.. here we are checking for clearance... we have about an 1/8 inch clearance to the upper fitting...

Both petals in place and brake cylinders installed... next step is to make new braided brake hoses and then extend the steering rods by 1.5 inches..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Brian, thanks for sharing.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, do you ever use the master cyls with built in reservoir on these dual toe brake conversions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Brian, do you ever use the master cyls with built in reservoir on these dual toe brake conversions?
    No... Always use slave cylinder... The integrated cylinders are way too big in diameter and hit the firewall, you would have to move the pedals even farther back (AKA Williams STC) loosing even more leg room...

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I was wondering about that. I have the Williams STC with firewall mounted reservoir and it looks like the integrated cyls would simplify the plumbing some.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be willing to sell the stock Pacer belly fairings and middle trapazoid as it will be different as a tripe . I redid mine and am not happy with it. Pleas call me at 832 704 0025 and lets see if we can make a deal if possible. Thanks John Gruby

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pacer53 View Post
    Would you be willing to sell the stock Pacer belly fairings and middle trapazoid as it will be different as a tripe . I redid mine and am not happy with it. Pleas call me at 832 704 0025 and lets see if we can make a deal if possible. Thanks John Gruby

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Those parts are being kept by the owner as the airplane is being set up to be able to swap out the gear to either configuration with log book entry and 337...

We are still using the center section “trapezoid” with separate outer pieces...

Brian