Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scale for hanger?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scale for hanger?

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Have been like Gilbert on any flight other than local. equipment for 2 tie downs and a spare tailwheel lives in the baggage compartment
    Is there a story behind hauling around a spare?

Personally, carry a fish scale. Not certified, just an aid in estimating. And I also carry tie down lines, one extra long in case the situation needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    I do some airplane camping at remote forest service airstrips in the Pacific Northwest.
    I have found that carrying tie-down straps and stakes is pointless if you don't bring along a fairly stout hammer with which to pound the stakes into the ground.
    For scale, I use a luggage scale and try to load my gear in backpacks, small duffle and fabric grocery bags, which have handles to make easy weighing. And a plastic laundry basket to keep smaller stuff organized.
    A cargo net from the backseat's forward lower sling rail to the upper seatback sling crossbar makes me feel better about what might happen in a sudden deceleration with >200# of gear behind me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    That's part of why we chose a tri pacer is to camp under the wing.I was going to buy the claw tie-down. Is that what your using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Is there a story behind hauling around a spare?

Personally, carry a fish scale. Not certified, just an aid in estimating. And I also carry tie down lines, one extra long in case the situation needs it.
    I went to a fly in and my tailwheel tire went flat while taxing out. Bummed a ride to the local auto parts store, got patch kit and fixed it. Several months later at a Tennessee Short Wing flyin taxing behind a friend he had flat. Same scenario.
    Auto store for parts, bumed tools etc. That was 20 years ago. I now carry a mounted complete Scott 3200 wheel and tire and make sure it is always inflated. Never had to use it. It’s probably got close to 2000 hours in the air uninstalled.

The two complete sets of tie downs was a result of surviving the tornado at Sun n Fun and then two months later at Spearfish, South Dakota surving another one that damaged some airplanes. The FBO had several new sets of tie downs for sale so I bought a set for insurance.
    You know the Boy Scout Moto. “Be Prepared”.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A tire patch kit might be a better option. Certainly a weight savings.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Assuming the tube is repairable, you may be correct but the hassle may be more than it is worth. The in between option would be to carry a spare tube. Shouldn't be any heavier than a patch kit (patch, glue and something to scuff rubber with). The only time I had a flat away from home, no one at the airport had an air compressor that I could use to air it up to go home or a jack I could use to remove the wheel and haul it to a gas station (aircraft had been weather stranded and had a slow leak we didn't know about). That was the second tire problem I had had in nearly 20 years. The first was at my home airport and was my fault. I let the tire pressure get too low on the tailwheel and sheared the valve stem off the tube when I landed.

I give the boss a hard time because of all the stuff he packs in the support truck. I don't know that he has ever had what we needed outside of a basic tool kit. The second time I had a prop fail I asked him where he was going to mount the spare prop on the truck. I am just the opposite. I only carry a multi-plier on my belt and a pocket knife. I keep thinking I should at least put together a basic tool kit but haven't done it.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-03-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Doesn’t work with a sheared valve stem or a faulty Chinese tube from Dresser. The Joint failed where tube halves come together .Had that happen in the hangar so I pitched the tube repair kit and started carrying wheel. Also carrying a complete unit it’s much quicker to replace the wheel and don’t need two 7/16” deep well sockets.
    Weight has never been an issue. I lost enough weight at OSH this year to make up for it; chaotic arrrival and poisoned food.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh I don't see the big deal about tailwheels anyways...20161009_140955.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Ahhhh I don't see the big deal about tailwheels anyways...20161009_140955.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    That is why they make Baby Bushwheels.

Post Thanks / Like

My tail wheel looks different, it's under the engine. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I used to carry a spare Tailwheels tire and tube in the Howard. Never found a spare wheel to make up the assembly. Tie down straps, stakes, 2 1/2 lb hammer, survival gear, blankets, and life vests all stayed in the baggage compartment (accessible from cabin, or the life vests would have been up front). One of the advantages of an airplane with good useful load! When I had my tripacer, not quite as much stuff lived in the baggage compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk