Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones in your ShortWing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cell phones in your ShortWing

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I wish you had chased those $&@&$)()$&!#%%>{}* pigs south instead of north! They have found my neighbor so I expect my place is next. Much worse than opossums or rats since I live within city limits and it’s not safe to use a powerful enough firearm to exterminate them. Even if they could be trapped or killed, what does a person do with 20 or 30 hogs alive or dead?
    A suppressed .300 AR-15 might just be on the Christmas list

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer an M1 carbine myself.

Catching to sell south is an interesting idea. Local butchers won’t touch pigs.

Post Thanks / Like

The local wild pigs we shot in Hawaii were good eating after being wrapped in banana leaves and covered with hot lava rocks for 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Actually I was returning from working on an airplane in the next town over, using the bluetooth on my phone to answer a question about a loose trim yoke while chasing pigs in a field.
    Years ago before the "regs" I was climbing thru about 15000 feet and my phone rang. It was laying in the window and I had forgotten to turn it off......... my bad.............. The F/O was flying and we were above sterile so I answered it .......... it was the wife "checking in" and we talked for a minute or two before before call dropped.

I do remember several instances where you could hear a cell phone "chirping" in the radios and had to get the F/A to get someone to turn their phone off. But yet have never had an issue with either navigation or communication like some claim.
    Last edited by Southern Aero; 11-08-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had two android phones that I could hear checking in (chirping). I have been using an iPhone for several years and have never heard it chirp.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm lame on cell phone use in the plane. I have Zulu2 and Bose A20 headsets with B-2th and tho I can hear everyone clearly, I have to hold the cell phone up to my lips and speak loudly into the mike in the phone for them to hear me. My headset mike doesn't get through to them. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you paired the headset to the phone? Took me a while to figure it out on my Lightspeed headset. I tried it by the book but didn't work but called Lightspeed and they clarified the process. I have now forgotten what they told me but it still works.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with one of my A20 headsets. I had a switch in the battery box in the wrong position. Another time I accidentally grabbed the headset that wasn’t paired to my phone. You don’t hear and can’t be heard when you do that one. I just sent my primary helmet in for repairs and a Lighspeed upgrade. I am looking forward to trying it. Bose doesn’t sell a helmet system or I may have kept it all the same.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 12-04-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been stalking this thread for a bit.... I agree with using an M1 carbine for small game hunting BTW.....

I just had a Fore Flight update to its app. If you have the subscription, Synthetic vision and the Attitude indicator are now available if you are just using a phone vs just a tablet. This changed things up for me a bit. I hadn't used the synthetic vision and AHRS as much as I wanted to and I've always struggled to find a good place to mount the iPad Mini 4. I know we all laugh at the number of gadgets in cockpits these day, I certainly have. But the new update allows me to put the iPhone in the lower left hand corner of the windscreen w/synthetic vision and obstacles as well as airports on the screen, while my iPad is on my leg in a kneeboard w/ the big picture on it.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so the main thing I have learned here is that nobody in this thread has ever owned or tried to shoot anything with an M1 carbine....or maybe you guys are real badasses

I have been really thinking about the whole bluetooth thing, mostly since I need an audio panel anyway. Plus one of my friends has one and it is super cool. I have a ps1000 intercom now but plan to sell it as well. Here is where I'm at with this:

I could use a PS8000bt audio panel.
    Or-

I could get one of those fancy par200a audio panel/com units and sell my like brand-new sl-40 com. This option would give me one less
    item in the stack (lighter). I have the space for either option, but barely if I just add the 8000bt panel. I figure cost would be about the same with selling the sl-40.
    The only difference is no marker beacon with this option, not that it is really needed anymore. All of this is so I have a backup com to my newly acquired-but-not-installed 430w and can use the pacer for my ifr ticket.