Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Tri Pacer project in Pittsburgh

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1956 Tri Pacer project in Pittsburgh

Hello All,

I fell into a barn find that was stripped for a recover back in the 90's. The price was right and I needed something to pass the time. I'm lucky to have a good friend who's an IA who specializes in Stearman restorations. I've purchased the drawings pdf's, tip & techniques books, and have a parts manual. Much of the airframe was stripped when I took possession. I still have to inventory all of the bits. The frame is being media blasted now and the engine has been broken down for inspection and yellow tags.

I've already learned a lot by paging through many of the posts on this forum. I hope to pick your brains over the next few years as I work on this project.

Here are a few pictures of the project....
    IMG_2272.jpgIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2224.jpgIMG_2223.jpg

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 1956 Tri Pacer project in Pittsburgh

Any mods in mind?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Literally was in a barn. Look forward to following your progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Any mods in mind?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    For now I'd like to put vortex generators and the skylight in it. Maybe LED nav/strobes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Literally was in a barn. Look forward to following your progress.
    The farm has a grass strip that I use to land on when I had a J-3. I had no idea that he had it until recently. Really nice guy. We got to talking about airplanes and he mentioned his project. The rest is history.

You seem to be very knowledgeable Steve. Please be free with any advice.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Back from the media blaster today. I'm very happy with the results. Solid frame. Only a few u channels on the belly need replaced.
    IMG_2282.jpg

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Are you gonna leave as Tripacer or convert to tailwheel? While the fuse is in this state don’t forget to do the door frame insp. SB 819 http://www.shortwingpipers.org/photo...509/SB_819.pdf
    When you get to the point of covering consider Stewart Systems. I was real happy with it when I did my PA-22/20. I could not have done as good as I did on my project without this forum and information from experts like Steve Pierce.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Are you gonna leave as Tripacer or convert to tailwheel? While the fuse is in this state don’t forget to do the door frame insp. SB 819 http://www.shortwingpipers.org/photo...509/SB_819.pdf
    When you get to the point of covering consider Stewart Systems. I was real happy with it when I did my PA-22/20. I could not have done as good as I did on my project without this forum and information from experts like Steve Pierce.
    I'm going to keep it as a Tri Pacer. I enjoyed flying my J-3, but this will be a trainer for my kids to get their private. (I know you can use tail draggers for training, but don't want the added expense for the conversion and extra insurance). Thanks for the AD advice. I just looked at the window area and was happy to see no corrosion.

For covering, I'll be using Airtech. My A&P really likes it. He's won awards with it at Oshkosh for his Stearmans.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently got back to work on the project airplane. I bought a flying 1955 PA-22 last summer to ease the flying itch. My IA/friend had a stroke and has recovered more than anyone could have hoped for. He's been motivating me to finish. I hired an A&P to do some welding. We had to repair a pitted piece of tubing, a bent piece of tubing, fabricate the bulkhead for the skylight stc, and replace much of the u channel on the belly.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_0539.jpegIMG_0602.jpegIMG_0631.jpegIMG_0636.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like it is definitely going in the right direction.