Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Key Start for Tri-Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Key Start for Tri-Pacer

I am helping a friend with his 1958 Tri-Pacer and he would like to put in a key start like his Colt had. Does anyone know of an STC or any legal way to do it?
    Last edited by Leo Fox; 11-08-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Key Start for Tri-Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Fox View Post
    I am helping a friend with his 1958 Tri-Pacer and he would like to put in a key start like his Colt had. Does anyone know of an STC or any legal way to do it?
    Does the present starter button:
    1) Directly activate the starter, ie, the button carries the high current starting load?
    or
    2) The button activates a solenoid that carries the high current to drives the starter?
    If (1) you won't be able to use a key starter.
    If (2) you should be able to run appropriate wires to the sonenoid and maybe that is a "minor alteration".
    Look in the starter/master box under the front left seat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

When I rebuilt my Pacer in 1973 I shamelessly copied a Piper Cherokee electrical system and sold it to the FAA as an upgrade without an STC etc.
    By the way an FAA inspector inspected and signed off the 337.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Use the Colt installation as a basis for a field approval. You'd be copying almost every other airplane out there. Don't know of an STC to make the switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Use the Colt installation as a basis for a field approval. You'd be copying almost every other airplane out there. Don't know of an STC to make the switch.
    That's a brilliant idea.

The Colt electrical drawing shows a start vibrator on the firewall. The vibrator would interact with the ignition switch and the start contractor in the box under the seat. So all you would have to add is a vibrator and "turn" or "push" to start switch wiring and three stud start contactor. For approval you could use the Slickstart STC. You would get the vibrator and along with installation approval you would get the wiring modification

If you did not want to pay for the STC'd part you could use Lycoming SI 1495. SI 1495 was the modification of the starting system to remove the magneto impulse couplings and install a vibrator and wiring along with retard breaker magnetos like on the Colt. The SI could then be used as "approved data" for the field approval.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 11-09-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added start contractor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Keep in mind that the Colt used Shower of Sparks ignition and the Tripacer uses an impulse coupling. Wiring for the start function with shower of sparks is totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Keep in mind that the Colt used Shower of Sparks ignition and the Tripacer uses an impulse coupling. Wiring for the start function with shower of sparks is totally different.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the brilliance of the whole idea. SlickSTART (with start relay) is STC'd for both Slick and Bendix impulse coupling or retard breaker magnetos and has instructions for multiple wiring schematics. It would really be just adding a relay function to work with the start contractor. The SOS Boosted Output (BO) would still be sent thru the "P lead" and the "LR" output from the vibrator would not be connected to the magneto as the impulse coupling would be controlling retard. Replacing the Frankenstein like push to start contractor with a three stud PMA'd https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...hp?recfer=3735 start solenoid could be considered a minor alteration. Trust me I wrote the Service letter when I worked at Slick. Also, SS comes with its own electrical harness.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 11-09-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an Archer III diagram and it covers most issues and takes care of master solenoid and starter.
    The Cherokee 140 is simpler, but I could not find a quick example on the web.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/1pVKi.png

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will talk it over with the owner and see what we decide to do.

Post Thanks / Like

fwiw... attached are signed 337 field approval for the key-start and relocation of solenoids to the firewall for my installation
    doesn't reflect some of the conversations and email exchanges with the FSDO (there were many), but as mentioned above, referenced Piper Cherokee systems as well

Electrical system upgrade 337 block 3 signoff.pdf
    (1) N4763A Electrical System update FAA 337 ICA.pdf
    (a) N4763A Electrical System & Load_Anal; rev 4; load analysis.pdf
    (b) N4763A Electrical System & Load_Anal; rev 4; schematic.pdf

Bryan