Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA-22/20 150/160 Performance questions

Post Thanks / Like

Question PA-22/20 150/160 Performance questions

Guys,

I looked at a tri-pacer prior to buying the zenith 701 that I currently fly out of my 1200 foot home grass strip. (800msl, North Carolina) It is a one way, no go around strip. The zenith does just fine, but now I want to move to a taildragger. I have about 100hrs in the zenith and 300 fixed wing hours total.

I love the looks of the pacers and think I would want a 22/20 conversion with the larger engine and wider main gear. I have a tailwheel endorsment but I realize that wouldnt be enough and I would need training in type. I would also base it on an airport with 3000 feet of pavement until I became proficient with it.

I have looked online and find very little information about short field performance for these airplanes. So my questions to you guys are... Will a 150 or 160 horsepower pacer handle my 1200 ft home airstrip? I have aslo noticed a couple of airplanes with “wing extensions”. How much difference do those make? Of course I would be solo with half tanks.

I do realize that a super cub would handle my place just fine, but a pacer seems to be a lot of airplane for the money. And with a pacer I could have the wife and kid meet me at a local airport to pick them up for trips together.

Thank you for any information you can give me!!
    Scott
    Last edited by airscooter; 11-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22/20 150/160 Performance questions

Scott, I purchased my Pacer in 1999 with a 150 HP engine and in 2007 upgraded to 160 HP. I have flown it out of a friends 800 foot grass strip in the Northern part of Virginia (also about 800 msl) at pretty much full gross weight. I only had to use most of it when the temperature got above 90 F or the grass was long and wet when I had the 150 HP engine, the 160 HP gives you more margin (maybe between 50 to 80 feet). I have a 58" pitch on the prop. You do however need to practice your short field take off technique first.

Getting into the 800 foot strip was never an issue. I approach at 50 to 55 knots when I go into short strips, but you have to nail the touch down point and not give the first 100 to 200 feet away. Again, practice, practice and practice. My Pacer does have the Sullivan drooped tips. I don't know how a Pacer without them flies.

You will find that the Pacer is a great short field airplane and hauls a lot more than a Super Cub (I know, I'm not going to make friends with Super Cub owners).

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

My Pacer with the 150 hp would break ground in less than 850' at a field eleveation
    of 3350' and temps in the high 80's or low 90's. That would have been full fuel and
    just me on board. Until you got proficient I think your plan to pic up the family at
    the other airport is a good idea. Certainly the 160hp would be nice but I think the
    150 would serve well. I second the comment on nailing the touchdown point for
    landing.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I have an original Pacer with 150hp. I have stock wings with the exception of the vortex generators. I only have about 10 hours in the plane so far, but on the hard surface runway at my home airport i can consistently, with little effort get stopped in 800’. As for takeoff with just me and about 3/4 fuel I can also get off the ground in 800’ at 70° and 1000’ field elevation. I’m still experimenting on what works best for me, but these are my results so far with little experience in the plane. My prop is a 58 pitch as well. As said before hitting your touchdown point consistently is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

If short field is the issue, a TriPacer can get out shorter than a Pacer. Of course prop selection has a lot to do with that. I used to get in and out of a 400’ strip with my PA-22-160, but was running a 53” pitch prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the information, keep it coming!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about 150msl, off in 500' or less on a 80* day with 400lbs of pilots, full fuel. 22/20-150, 56 pitch, Stewart tips, vg's, 29" tires, PA-18 tail, gap seals. I have a 2000' strip with tall trees on both ends, 07LA, it is unforgiving but as long as you know your limitations coming in all is well. Had a 58" prop but the 56" gives it a little boost at the expense of 3-4kts.
    Last edited by pilot; 11-29-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I operated my stock winged 150 hp Pacer off an 800 foot patch of grass on our airport and in and out of shorter spots on the Brazos River. Weight and density altitude are the factor.

Here is one of many threads on wing extensions. Hendricks/Sullivan Wing Extensions [Archive] - ShortWingPipers.Orgwww.shortwingpipers.org › index.php

Post Thanks / Like

Have consistent 400' takeoffs with my Tri Pacer, 150hp, 56" prop, VGs & Stewarts Tips, with full fuel and minimal baggage solo (=450# between me, fuel, and survival etc gear) at 1k DA and calm wind. Book says that should take 550 ft, but it never does with my engine/prop combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for all of the information. I am fairly actively looking for a pacer that fits the bill. I wear barnstormers, trade a plane and controller out looking! I am sure I will have questions when I find the one I think I want.