Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 -108 seat springs

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 -108 seat springs

Univair has zero stock on -487-271 seat bottom spring. Any thoughts on where to find NOS or serviceable parts?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 -108 seat springs

I’m sure someone who’s been around longer probably has a better answer, but can you take it to a local auto/boat type upholstery shop and see if they can order some? You might even get some better options.

My dad was in that business for years and he always had to replace springs on old cars he restored.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't take any pics of it - should have though.
    Two layers of heavy Ceconite glued to the frame and shrunk with a layer of thin boat carpet between the Ceconite and old springs worked a treat for me.
    Firm seat feel with a little give.
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

Been trying to think up an alternate solution to spring replacement. HunterJ, was your fix to a bench seat or individual pilot/co-pilot seats? Glued to front and rear structure only?

As its winter here and have lots of down time, I'm thinking of pulling the seats and swapping inboard and outboard springs or some sort of mix between pilot and co-pilot springs, as I fly almost exclusively solo.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Do a google search for "zig zag seat springs"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CTJER;113142]Been trying to think up an alternate solution to spring replacement. HunterJ, was your fix to a bench seat or individual pilot/co-pilot seats? Glued to front and rear structure only?

Individual seats and attached all round. I glued and wrapped the fabric right round the tubes. I retained the original springs which provided secondary support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Auto restoration supplies sell those springs. I have a huge stash of them. Membership has its advantages.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Do you want to part with some of your stock? How difficult is the removal and install?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Oregon Aero strapped my springs down tight with some modern synthetic canvass material glued to the seat frame. Then put Velcro on top. They made two indivual seat bottoms with industrial Velcro on the bottom to hold the bottoms in place. They said they legally could not remove the seat springs since the airplane came with them.

No hog rings to pull out and tear. I can remove the bottom cushions making it much easier to get the bench seat in and out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 12-05-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    Steve,

Do you want to part with some of your stock? How difficult is the removal and install?

Jerry
    You might want to click on the link in Steve's signature "Support Short Wing Pipers.org- Click Here To Find Out More." as a courtesy. It's a great website with lots of awesome benefits but it also doesn't operate on it's own. While it's not a requirement for participation it is a nice gesture to show our appreciation for the time and effort required to keep it going.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb