Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise stop and friction lock?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cruise stop and friction lock?

I read in the poh about a cruise stop and was just wondering what it is and if my plane has it. Also the friction lock doesn't seem to be doing anything, but again it's all new to me so maybe I'm doing it wrong..
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 12-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Throttle stop and friction lock?

Usually the throttle stop is on the carb itself and adjustable (two small screws). They set the range of throttle movement with the idle setting being most important.
    With the throttle pulled all the way back you don't want 1000 RPM idle!
    Regarding the friction lock - most likely the throttle cable friction thingy (O ring?) has worn away. I have the same problem on a Luscombe I fly - no usuable friction...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Turning the serrated knob around the throttle knob at the panel should lock the throttle. If it doesn't work you might unscrew it all the way and have a look.

Post Thanks / Like

The "throttle stop" you read about is likely the "cruise detent" or whatever you might call it. there's a little groove in the throttle shaft right where the friction lock is, and you can just barely feel it if you know where to look. Mine is set at around 2150, a nice low cruise setting for putting around and looking at things (crops, in my case). It can be adjusted a bit by adding or removing washers somewhere around where the throttle passes through the panel. I can't remember exactly where they are at the moment, but I think you have to unscrew the friction lock completely and remove the knob and check nut to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Turning the serrated knob around the throttle knob at the panel should lock the throttle. If it doesn't work you might unscrew it all the way and have a look.
    That's what I thought just wanted to make sure. I never flew with thIs kind of set up, I was trained in archers that have the lever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    The "throttle stop" you read about is likely the "cruise detent" or whatever you might call it. there's a little groove in the throttle shaft right where the friction lock is, and you can just barely feel it if you know where to look. Mine is set at around 2150, a nice low cruise setting for putting around and looking at things (crops, in my case). It can be adjusted a bit by adding or removing washers somewhere around where the throttle passes through the panel. I can't remember exactly where they are at the moment, but I think you have to unscrew the friction lock completely and remove the knob and check nut to adjust.
    OK now I know what to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Usually the throttle stop is on the carb itself and adjustable (two small screws). They set the range of throttle movement with the idle setting being most important.
    With the throttle pulled all the way back you don't want 1000 RPM idle!
    Regarding the friction lock - most likely the throttle cable friction thingy (O ring?) has worn away. I have the same problem on a Luscombe I fly - no usuable friction...
    TonyN
    Sorry I meant cruise stop. But thank you. I'll changed the post to cruise stop.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 12-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cruise stop and friction lock?

I'll take a look at it again today or tomorrow and see what's in there. Is there a new friction ring or sleeve that can be installed? Or is it all part of the cable assembly? It moves smoothly but with the knurled nut turned all the way to the right and tight it doesn't seem any tighter.. As far as a notch for cruse stop I didn't feel it but I didn't know what I was looking for. It could be it's not original anyway it is 60 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

You should search for that detent in the air, not on the ground.
    If you spend too much time pumping the throttle with the engine off, you will squirt raw fuel up into the manifold riser and it will drip back down either into the carb heat box or the floor below engine. Then when you start it, big chance of backfires.
    And running high throttle settings on the ground (other than run up) increases chance of throwing debris into prop or belly.

Enjoy your Shortwing, they are fun and full of surprises!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    You should search for that detent in the air, not on the ground.
    If you spend too much time pumping the throttle with the engine off, you will squirt raw fuel up into the manifold riser and it will drip back down either into the carb heat box or the floor below engine. Then when you start it, big chance of backfires.
    And running high throttle settings on the ground (other than run up) increases chance of throwing debris into prop or belly.

Enjoy your Shortwing, they are fun and full of surprises!

GG
    Yea I thought that after I pumped it twice.. I never did feel a notch, it could be worn or just a different (newer) cable. The friction was my main issue. I unscrewed the knurled part and slid it back. I didn’t see anything,but not sure what I was looking for. It seems to be worn, but throttle didn’t seem to creep when we flew. I guess the question is can something in the knurled knob be replaced or the whole assemble have to?