Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise stop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cruise stop and friction lock?

I'll take a look at it again today or tomorrow and see what's in there. Is there a new friction ring or sleeve that can be installed? Or is it all part of the cable assembly? It moves smoothly but with the knurled nut turned all the way to the right and tight it doesn't seem any tighter.. As far as a notch for cruse stop I didn't feel it but I didn't know what I was looking for. It could be it's not original anyway it is 60 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

You should search for that detent in the air, not on the ground.
    If you spend too much time pumping the throttle with the engine off, you will squirt raw fuel up into the manifold riser and it will drip back down either into the carb heat box or the floor below engine. Then when you start it, big chance of backfires.
    And running high throttle settings on the ground (other than run up) increases chance of throwing debris into prop or belly.

Enjoy your Shortwing, they are fun and full of surprises!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    You should search for that detent in the air, not on the ground.
    If you spend too much time pumping the throttle with the engine off, you will squirt raw fuel up into the manifold riser and it will drip back down either into the carb heat box or the floor below engine. Then when you start it, big chance of backfires.
    And running high throttle settings on the ground (other than run up) increases chance of throwing debris into prop or belly.

Enjoy your Shortwing, they are fun and full of surprises!

GG
    Yea I thought that after I pumped it twice.. I never did feel a notch, it could be worn or just a different (newer) cable. The friction was my main issue. I unscrewed the knurled part and slid it back. I didn’t see anything,but not sure what I was looking for. It seems to be worn, but throttle didn’t seem to creep when we flew. I guess the question is can something in the knurled knob be replaced or the whole assemble have to?

Post Thanks / Like

The knurled knob should should tighten a tapered collet around the solid part of the throttle shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    The knurled knob should should tighten a tapered collet around the solid part of the throttle shaft.
    Ok. Thank you. When the knurled knob was all the way out the cable was really lose almost like the should have been a sleeve or something between the inner and outer cable but I couldn’t find anything to compare it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the collet is missing.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to fixing throttle friction issue. My throttle cable is a univair unit so after contacting them I found I was missing the nylon insert. Seems to work now.KIMG1006.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    I finally got around to fixing throttle friction issue. My throttle cable is a univair unit so after contacting them I found I was missing the nylon insert. Seems to work now.KIMG1006.jpg
    Just ordered one of these for my Pacer,
    For future reference the Univair part number is U455139-010.
    IMG_9489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app