Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New York International Field Office contact

Post Thanks / Like

Default New York International Field Office contact

I have a PA16 on the N-reg here in the United Kingdom. The rebuild that is planned to start in the 18 months with incorporate a number of STCs and I would hope a number of modifications. These modifications are nothing crazy and thanks to this site I have copies of previous 337s for these carried out on PA16s as follow on data.
    These include:
    Cabin x-brace.
    Rear lower belly inspection panel.
    Left hand tail handle.
    Seat belt tabs welded in.
    Pa22 trim system.
    Trimmer gear re-enforcement.
    ACS style vernier mixture.
    Sutton exhaust on a O-320 (Stewart STC with twin wing tanks).
    DakotaCub fuel valve in place of a Maule valve on a Trimmer STC.
    Welded plate to fuselage to mount fuel drains on Trimmer STC.

The problem is thus: The Jamaica, New York Field Office is the controlling authority for any modifications to aircraft outside of the USA. This has recently (?) moved from Denver. My IA cannot get in contact with anyone who appears to know anything about general aviation - they appear to only be concerned with commercial operations.

Does anyone have a contact in this office that my IA could start a relationship with, so he may talk to about Shortwing Pipers (plus all the other aircraft he looks after) and explain the subtle differences between the models with relevance to the modifications I would like?

Or, based on people's recent experience of the FAA, is the answer to my list of modifications a straight -"NO".

Regards

Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New York International Field Office contact

If their office can't help they should refer your IA to someone in the FAA that can. My local FSDO told me that they cannot approve the double grove trim system. They said they cannot approve a control system modification but in fact there are a list of things to do with a control system that they cannot approve but this modification is not one of them. I haven't pushed it since I am not actively working on the project.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will find STC's for many of these project as they would only be approved with Field Approvals. I don't know the Field Approval process for FAA registered aircraft in the UK. It should be the same as in the US with the IA submitting the 337 requesting the approval with drawings and data to support the modification. You can submit the paperwork to any FSDO. You should start early as you are.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

"My local FSDO told me that they cannot approve the double grove trim system" - I thought that may be the case.

"
    I don't think you will find STC's for many of these project as they would only be approved with Field Approvals" - I am aware that the above list are not STCs but field approvals - that's why I am asking. Thanks to this great site I have the 337s.

"I don't know the Field Approval process for FAA registered aircraft in the UK. It should be the same as in the US with the IA submitting the 337 requesting the approval with drawings and data to support the modification" - I think it should be the same as the mainland but the only office that appears to cover outside of the USA is the Jamaica office. From what I gather from the IA, whenever light aircraft modification 337s are submitted, they are immediately refused. That is why I am asking if anyone from the area knows of a contact who would be willing to discuss or at least listen.

Thanks for both replies though.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a DER with Major Alteration authority or a DAR with Field Approval authority. It won’t be free, but you will get the approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk