Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper cowl center

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upper cowl center

I am trying to figure out if there is a doubler on the aft section of the upper cowling center piece. Looking at old photos I determined that the front has a spot welded doubler. Probably to fill the space between the nosebowl to prevent it from pulling the skin down and creating a ridge. If someone could look at their aircraft, preferably a 50 Pacer as that part was unique to that year I would appreciate it.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Upper cowl center

My 1950 Pacer center top cowl section may or may not have been original. It didn’t have a doubler on either end...the aluminum was 0.050” thick...no cracks that I recall. The Pacer convert I’m flying is a 57...it has doublers at both ends...to contain obvious cracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a 53 (data plate anyway). It was originally put together in '85 "from lots of parts" so no guarantees, but the forward part of the center sections had the spot welded doubler. The back had a doubler riveted on the aft section, it was cracked and I replaced it using same holes. The hole pattern did not look like something that might have been factory. I did some research at the time I fixed mine and seems like I found someone say the aft did not have a doubler from the factory. One would think if the original was going to have a doubler, piper would have spot welded the aft one like they did the front one. Just prior to my restoration I replaced the old with all newly fabricated and riveted doublers at both ends.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always made the replacement part out of 2024-T3 because of the cracking issue. I believe the original was 3003.

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced mine. It was the original and had a spot welded doubler in the front only. Mine was cracked in the back on both sides. When I fabricated the new one, I added a doubler at the back to prevent it from happening again.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z