Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Velcro push to talk on early model PA22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing the Velcro push to talk on early model PA22

I posted this on the Facebook page but thought I should bring it over here. I got sick and tired of the Velcro push to talk that seemed to be the only option without drilling my yoke. Here is my solution. It is made out of Nylon(PA12) and clips right on the back of the yoke. To integrate with the radio I have a coiled cord with a 3.5mm plug--similar to the Velcro one. I had a bit of interest from others on the Facebook post so I think I can get a few of these made to offer up. I think I can offer these for $75 a piece(hope to have a little discount if you get the second one as well). Given that, how much interest for these is there?
    Also if you have any constructive input I'd love that as well!
    20181223_131036.jpg20181223_131114.jpg20181223_131053.jpg

-Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Replacing the Velcro push to talk on early model PA22

I like it, looks like a great solution. I don't think there is any difference in any of the Pacer, Tri-Pacer yokes other than the longer shaft on the earlier ones so you part should fit them all.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the design a lot. Very clean and out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is! Any input?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krwill View Post
    Here it is! Any input?

Looks good. Will it be the whole push to talk or a mounting bracket? My PTT has a male and female plug on it, so till I get a new intercom it won't work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Looks good. Will it be the whole push to talk or a mounting bracket? My PTT has a male and female plug on it, so till I get a new intercom it won't work for me.
    The whole push to talk, the circle in the center is the button. I'll have to look into different systems and do some research, maybe an adaptor is called for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice. Flyjeep just needs to cut and splice wires depending on his intercom. Most push to talks just go to ground. Are you going to make and sell these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing the Velcro push to talk on early model PA22

I’m interested in this if you should decide to make available for sale. I don’t really need the wire since I already have the Velcro switch hardwired to my intercom. I can just cut the Velcro switch off and wire to the new switch.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I’m interested in this if you should decide to make available for sale. I don’t really need the wire since I already have the Velcro switch hardwired to my intercom. I can just cut the Velcro switch off and wire to the new switch.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org
    I think it would be better to splice on the other end. I have strain relief designed in and the wires are crimped to solder terminals. I am planning on offering a longer cord version so it could reach to wherever you need it. My plan is to have a 3.5mm jack added to my panel near the yoke that will be what is wired to the radio and the PTT just plugs into that. That is also an option for you. Or just cut the wire off the current one and add a 3.5mm jack on the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Very nice. Flyjeep just needs to cut and splice wires depending on his intercom. Most push to talks just go to ground. Are you going to make and sell these?
    Steve thanks for the info on Flyjeeps set up. I have limited aircraft specific knowledge, I just designed it around my set-up. I still am going to look into an adapter for that style. Seems they are relatively common and I don't think it would take too much on my end. I just need to get my hands on one to see the setup, I'll ask .
    Yes I am going to make some to sell. Looks like $75 if you just want the one or $125 for a pair. I still am a couple weeks out. I need to get the PCB's in.