Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compass relocation Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Compass relocation Colt

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Mine does. I don’t have it hooked up though because it’s a bit bright at night. I’ve got gauge floods mounted in the wing root that illuminate it well.
    I might change bulb to red color or led. I'll dig into it this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not do the Woolsey panel STC? It is approved for the PA 22-108. You could then put the compass in the far left 2.25" hole which would work with Steve's experience that the compass works best on the left near the top of the glaresheild https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...-modification/
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 12-28-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

On a semi-side note, what is the requirement for a Compass Correction Card. Is it a requirement or merely suggested? Does that also apply to a Vertical Card Compass?
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    On a semi-side note, what is the requirement for a Compass Correction Card. Is it a requirement or merely suggested? Does that also apply to a Vertical Card Compass?
    The regulations identify as magnetic direction indicator

"§23.1547 Magnetic direction indicator.
    (a) A placard meeting the requirements of this section must be installed on or near the magnetic direction indicator.

(b) The placard must show the calibration of the instrument in level flight with the engines operating.

(c) The placard must state whether the calibration was made with radio receivers on or off.

(d) Each calibration reading must be in terms of magnetic headings in not more than 30 degree increments.

(e) If a magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator can have a deviation of more than 10 degrees caused by the operation of electrical equipment, the placard must state which electrical loads, or combination of loads, would cause a deviation of more than 10 degrees when turned on.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. successfully relocated compass to RH side of panel. Used GPS to swing. Seems right on. Found both light wires cut. I want to get the light working. Checked wiring. Both leads and bulb functional. Does it matter which lead is power and which lead to ground?
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the positive lead should be to the base of the bulb.
    Jerry