Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall seal - moulding P/N 14972-00, 01, 14973-00

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firewall seal - moulding P/N 14972-00, 01, 14973-00

Recommendation/suggestions needed - My PA-22-150 is down for extended annual and several little and a couple not so little repairs. One item - Replacing nut plates at firewall for attaching engine cowling. We separated boot cowl from firewall to get to the nut plates and found some sort of latex or silicon-like sealant. Went to my parts book and found the numbers listed in the title of this message, and Piper drawings indicates its some kind of a moulding in there originally. No indication of what it was made of. Univair search turns up the same picture in my parts book, and prices are $136.85 each for lower left and right mouldings, and $139.51 for the top piece moulding. Pretty expensive. Is there an alternative that is acceptable to use? I imagine fire resistance and waterproof characteristics are needed. Any comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Firewall seal - moulding P/N 14972-00, 01, 14973-00

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Recommendation/suggestions needed - My PA-22-150 is down for extended annual and several little and a couple not so little repairs. One item - Replacing nut plates at firewall for attaching engine cowling. We separated boot cowl from firewall to get to the nut plates and found some sort of latex or silicon-like sealant. Went to my parts book and found the numbers listed in the title of this message, and Piper drawings indicates its some kind of a moulding in there originally. No indication of what it was made of. Univair search turns up the same picture in my parts book, and prices are $136.85 each for lower left and right mouldings, and $139.51 for the top piece moulding. Pretty expensive. Is there an alternative that is acceptable to use? I imagine fire resistance and waterproof characteristics are needed. Any comments appreciated.
    Are you looking at the Chanel that was installed per AD 57-22-01 and Piper SB 161a, piper kit754237?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so. It's called a Moulding- Firewall seal, on page 23. Not called a channel. It's shown in figure 10, page 20 of my parts book and listed on page 23. Part number 14972-00 and 01 and 14973-00. The term "seal" suggests a pliable gasket to me, not metal. A channel to me is metal.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a metal moulding that screws on with the cowl seal and wraps over the seam between the boot cowl and the firewall flange. It removes the repetive inspection for boot cowl to firewall seal. I found a couple on ebay for a lot less than Univair. I do have a spare upper moulding that I will sell cheap if you can find the lowers.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I’ll take you up on that offer, thanks. I can just buy the lower pieces from Univair. P.M. me your address and let me know what you want for it. What do you use between the fire wall flange and the boot cowl? Some kind of silicon? Fire resistant? I can’t find a specification for that. Thanks for the help Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The angles did away with that firewall seal AD which was kind of mute when the original fiberglass insulation was removed so that it could not absorb fuel and oil and be a fire hazard. I don't like silicone, have used the black dum dum stuff and commercail fire seal putty.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve you lost me. What angles? Do you mean I don’t need the molding part number 14973-00?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The parts are angles that double around the lip made by the firewall/bootcowl intersection thus keeping oil and fuel from penetrating that seam.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my firewall with a stainless Clyde Smith fire wall, and it came complete with the angles attached, for $400. That's less than just the angles from Univair.