Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Wing interchageability

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing interchageability

Hi,
    A mate here in New Zealand put his 22-135 (s/n 22-229 into a ditch last weekend and badly damaged the RH wing
    I have a wing off a 22-150 (s/n 22-4756) available, but according to the IPC they are not interchangeable.
    Does anyone know what the differences are, and if there is any way they can be interchanged?
    Cheers
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing interchageability

I'll wait for more knowledgeable folks to chime in, but one thing I do know is later (higher HP) versions' wings had 13 ribs, as opposed to the original (I think) 11 ribs. I had to count mine to verify, as my 1956 PA-22-150 has what looks like one '56 wing and one '55 wing (landing/taxi light doesn't match '56 specs)-- but the ribs match up. Not sure when Piper switched to a 13-rib wing, but that might be one thing to check first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Walt is correct, the wings off the 150 hp Tri-Pacer has an extra rib and higher vne. Everything else is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

... the wings off the 150 hp Tri-Pacer has an extra rib and higher vne
    I have an original (1950) Pacer with 135 hp right now. In the future, what's the upgrade to 150 hp look like? Will the wings also need to be upgraded to support the extra HP? Just curious. Don't mean to hijack this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Wings do not need to be changed or upgraded with the STC'd 150 hp install. The wing was originally changed in he 150-160 version so the limiting airspeed could be increased.
    With the 150 conversion your limit airspeed remain same as does gross weight generally.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    So total length is the same. Just an extra rib within that length?
    Putting aside the legal aspect of fitting a different p/n, I assume fitting a 150hp wing to a 135hp aircraft would be fine from a structural/safety perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by avcan View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    So total length is the same. Just an extra rib within that length?
    Putting aside the legal aspect of fitting a different p/n, I assume fitting a 150hp wing to a 135hp aircraft would be fine from a structural/safety perspective.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    I have an original (1950) Pacer with 135 hp right now. In the future, what's the upgrade to 150 hp look like? Will the wings also need to be upgraded to support the extra HP? Just curious. Don't mean to hijack this thread.
    Andy is correct. We have several threads here on the conversion but this one has the pertenant info. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...5-to-Pacer-150