Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hangars and Taxes in NW Chicago-land.. Almost new Tri-Pacer owner (I hope)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hangars and Taxes in NW Chicago-land.. Almost new Tri-Pacer owner (I hope)

Good day All:
    Sooooooo...... I might obtain a TP sometime soon and I now have two topics I need info on...

1. I want my bird in a hanger if at ALL possible. I currently rent out of Chicago Executive KPWK but I fear their shelter will be expensive unless I share with someone who has extra room.
    - Schaumburg is about 35 minutes away and is doable.. plus it has Pilot Pete's fantastic eatery.
    - Lake in the Hills 3CK is about 45 minutes away, as is Campbell C81.
    Does anyone have or know anyone who has hanger space in this general area??

2. I moved to the Chicago area 3 years ago and I don't currently pay any property taxes (other than my car) since I rent. I don't have any idea what I'll have to pay on the Tri-Pacer.
    - Any history on aircraft property taxes in this area?

Thanks so much for the great help I get from you all.

Cheers,

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hangars and Taxes in NW Chicago-land.. Almost new Tri-Pacer owner (I hope)

Dan,

I’m down at KARR with a Pacer. I’m not sure about the northern side of town as far as hangers, but I have some friends that can probably get some answers for you. I’ll see what they say.

You may want to look into community hanger space. That’s what I do and it’s reasonable as far as cost. It’s also heated, which is nice. Community has its good and bad. Costs less but if you want to do owner maintenance on stuff that may take a while it can be a pain. Just depends on how easy going to FBO manager is.

If you register the plane with an Illinois address you’ll get a nice letter from the IDOT saying you owe them some tax money. Illinois has a “use tax” on aircraft. It’s a one time deal, I think it was 5% of the purchase price or FAIR MARKET VALUE. Ahem... cough cough. Wink. nudge.

If you have or create a LLC then you don’t pay the use tax. You can also register it with another address from another state if you have a residence someplace else. That may be good or bad depends on the other states tax laws.

If you have any other questions I can give you my # if you send me a PM.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hangars and Taxes in NW Chicago-land.. Almost new Tri-Pacer owner (I hope)

Thanks Mike. I'll be in touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently saw a T-hangar for sale at DeKalb (DKB) listed on Barnstormers.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

2 T hangars at DKB for sale. Outside mode C, so no ADSB required.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DKB advisors... That's a bit further than I want to drive... and I'd be renting hanger space, not buying. I don't plan on living in IL forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Is WI too far away? I bought an airplane at Kenosha and drove to Highland Park to pay for it. It didn’t seem like a long drive but I didn’t time it. There are a couple of smaller airports right on the state line too.

Post Thanks / Like

If you find hanger space in northern Ill, probably looking at 150.00 to 250.00. I keep my tripacer out at Dacy. I believe they are full up. I know Galt is.