Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windows!

Can we talk about windows? I copied CamTom12's plane and window pics from the Experimental SW string because I'm interested in same/similar window mods for my plane someday. He's obviously got a pretty special SW and I'm still learning about mods that drive you to Exp. category vs. remaining Certified. Wondering if some or all of these mods could readily be approved for a Certified Tri-Pacer? Any insight (no pun) appreciated.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Windows!

As long as you don't make structural changes, I can't imagine it'd be tough to get a field approval.

My guess is that you couldn't consider it a minor mod (fabric vs. plexi) since you're changing the covering instructions which are a major mod. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

So, if we assume you're correct, does if follow that;
    1. the front door window mod is a minor alteration,
    2. the rear door window addition is likewise a minor alteration,
    3. the added boot cowl windows (plexi replaces aluminum), the window below the left side pilots standard window (plexi vs. fabric), and the right side rear cut-out (plexi vs. fabric) are major alterations?
    Last edited by Subsonic; 02-05-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: terminology - mod vs. alteration

Post Thanks / Like

CamTom12 - The strip below your windshield to the top cowl isn't stock. No rivets. So slick! What is it? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    CamTom12 - The strip below your windshield to the top cowl isn't stock. No rivets. So slick! What is it? Thx.
    I believe it's fiberglass. Not sure how it's bonded, but some sort of glue I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    So, if we assume you're correct, does if follow that;
    1. the front door window mod is a minor alteration,
    2. the rear door window addition is likewise a minor alteration,
    3. the added boot cowl windows (plexi replaces aluminum), the window below the left side pilots standard window (plexi vs. fabric), and the right side rear cut-out (plexi vs. fabric) are major alterations?
    Thatís what Iíd go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Since the aluminum is a fairing and not structural would you not see it as minor as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a left front door and replaced the lower panel with lexan as I also did on the right side door. Both were minor alterations.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I have a left front door and replaced the lower panel with lexan as I also did on the right side door. Both were minor alterations.
    I'm not expert but read somewhere that PA-22 doors are not considered primary load carrying structural elements - perhaps why they can be removed for parachuting/skydiving. Agreed boot cowl doesn't carry primary structural load, but does carry secondary aero load. Why isn't it fabric, then? It is probably universally argued and learned many years ago - somewhere that aluminum provides fire resistance beyond fabric. Steel firewall, to aluminum boot cowl - so to carry aero loads at elevated temperatures, to fabric - which is strictly for ambient temp. aero loads. Again - this is just my reasoning, not expert opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering what the difference in heat capacity or temperature resistance is between 2024-T3 and heat treated polycarbonate - may have to look into that.