Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.50 dessers!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 8.50 dessers!

Finally got my baby tundra tires on. What pressures do y'all recommend? And do you go straight to that pressure, or overfill a bit and come down to seat the bead?IMG_20190210_184051246.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 8.50 dessers!

I air up without the valve stem and hear that pop when the bead sets, then let the air escape and then install the valve stem. I have always used 12-15 psi on 8.50s and 26" Goodyears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks Nice Man !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Looks Nice Man !!
    Thanks Ray! Yours will look killer soon too!

Post Thanks / Like

How do those slick 8.50's and 26"res wear on pavement? Have the opportunity to grab a set of slick 8.50's, but most if not all of my wheel ops end at a paved airport. Do they wear similarly to the larger BW's? Sorry if this is a repetitive question but I couldn't drag up anything relating to the smaller wheels in a search.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    How do those slick 8.50's and 26"res wear on pavement? Have the opportunity to grab a set of slick 8.50's, but most if not all of my wheel ops end at a paved airport. Do they wear similarly to the larger BW's? Sorry if this is a repetitive question but I couldn't drag up anything relating to the smaller wheels in a search.
    Not sure on that one. I'll be 50/50 to start. Then about 100% this summer.

If you are on pavement a majority of the time, I'm not sure you will benefit from larger tires, my home strip is grass but a bit rough, hoping these 8.50s will smoothen that up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had 8:50 Dresser' (I sold them when my wife laughed at how tinny they were), GY 26 (more like 25's) and BW 29's. BW's are soft and don't wear well on payment, but they are the best in the rough. GY's are more stiff but, wear better. 8:50's are.....smaller.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-11-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

26" Goodyears wear very little on pavement. They are a hard rubber compound with a very stiff sidewall. These Dessers have a softer sidewall but the rubber compound does not feel as soft as a Bushwheel. I don't think they will wear anything like a Bushwheel on pavement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    26" Goodyears wear very little on pavement. They are a hard rubber compound with a very stiff sidewall. These Dessers have a softer sidewall but the rubber compound does not feel as soft as a Bushwheel. I don't think they will wear anything like a Bushwheel on pavement.
    Good to know. The used set I've stumbled upon are the AK bush wheels variety with the extra tread; I imagine they wear a good bit faster than the goodyears even with the extra tread.
    Last edited by wmvosburgh; 02-15-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarification; punctuation

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking pacer.