Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Pod on Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cargo Pod on Pacer?

I have a tripacer converted to bushmaster by stc.
    I love the plane, and I like taking the family out camping in it.
    The trouble is I run out of room to put bulky items. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a cargo pod approved by 337 or STC? I see them on cubs and PA-12s all the time. Why not the pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cargo Pod on Pacer?

While I fly my Bushmaster mostly as a one or two person plane and have lots of room for stuff and I usually sleep in my plane when traveling. Taking a family out is another issue. Adding a pod would make these planes that much better. I was recently talking to an engineer in CA and posts, who is experienced in developing pods for aircraft. Maybe he has ideas.
    Last edited by Stephen; 02-15-2019 at 05:15 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Isnít Alaska the only state that allows external loads? Wouldnít a 337 be allowed for an owner built pod? When I rebuilt my Pacer I added float fittings and kept the gear leg fittings at the wing strut mounts...good hard points for a pod mount..and a lumber rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Airglass was working on a pacer pod a few years ago. The project manager who is a friend of mine contacted my with a few questions. Not sure where it went and my friend has since retired.

Thinking the the external load angle/OPP might be a way to go in one of those ask for forgiveness kind of solutions. In fact I've always felt an "interpretation" was more likly to go your way if you accepted all of the liability?

in the end it doesn't matter until you blow a gearleg out at a public airport and the Feds/NTSB start looking for your logbooks. Our NTSB rep up here explained to me that a lot of post crash pilots have this terrible habit of loosing the logbooks

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

The concern I would have is the length, shape due to our gear pockets. It would end up being short and wide and I doubt any body would approve it due to unknown aerodynamics.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Iím on PA18 gear...so the pod became part of the build plan..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I’d love a pod on my Pacer. The PA-20s don’t have quite the volume behind the backseat that the converted Tripacers do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scotthayd View Post
    I have a tripacer converted to bushmaster by stc.
    I love the plane, and I like taking the family out camping in it.
    The trouble is I run out of room to put bulky items. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a cargo pod approved by 337 or STC? I see them on cubs and PA-12s all the time. Why not the pacer?

Hello all I would like to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Harold Koehler. I am new to this site. I have just started my Bushmaster project with my two sons. I also have a Skybolt that I built. I am a former Boeing Defense and Space engineer. Much of my work was modifying aircraft for range clearing, Electronics Packaging, modifying Gulfstream aircraft for special missions, flight control modifications for BAE 146 air tankers, and special mission pods. I was also a Boeing Military Aircraft Mobility, Surveillance & Engagement Division 2013 Engineering Excellence Team Award Nominee. Boeing P-8 Multi Mission Pod. I was also the principle designer for the Multi Airborne Sensor Test bed (MAST) to be operated on the Gruman S3B. These were fun times, and I am just a guy. I now lecture at California State University Chico. As a side business I have a company called Solution Aerospace LLC. I have about four DER's that I work with as well. There are a lot of aircraft like my Skybolt that certainly could use some extra room for travel. I would certainly make pods such as the Skybolt & Starduster application with a quick detach capability. I would like to start collecting information on what people would like as far as payload, and a target price. I would like to offer pods for certificated, and home built aircraft. Possibly even offer a kit for people like myself that do not have deep pockets. I look at my design solutions in a very practical manner. I use very little composites in my designs. Since pods are put on and off in military applications, aluminum seems to hold up the best. I would like to hear what the community would be interested in. Thanks for listening.

MAST Pod Catalog Sheet.jpg 1346354496417623185.jpg TRINITY CENTER 5-18-13 IMAGE 1.jpg BAE 146 Airtanker.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes as cavernous as the Bushmaster fuselage is compared to my Skybolt, I think that a pod would make the Bushmaster even nicer. My boys and myself want to do some of the back country flying and camping with it. My youngest son lives in the Red Bluff California area which seems to be Trent Palmer's playground. Maybe some droop ailerons and some big tires on the Skybolt, and I can go too. We are all in on the Bushmaster project. I would like to express my gratitude to the community and particularly Stephen for the kindness and support so far. Cheers.