Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Spinner Bracket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Broken Spinner Bracket

I noticed a loose screw on the spinner during preflight Closer look and turns out the bracket that the screw goes into has broken. It’s one of the L shaped brackets on the back plate of the spinner
    can you replace one bracket or do you have to buy a new back plate ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Broken Spinner Bracket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hallelujah. That’s it.

Sorry. New Owner. Was hoping it could be repaired

Post Thanks / Like

Is the bracket broken away from the backplate or the nut plate broken loose from the bracket?
    I have a couple of serviceable spinner backlates in my hanger collecting dust. If you need one let me know.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Bracket is still attached to the Backplate But broken at the 90 degree bend so Half is on the backplate and the screw half is connected to the spinner.
    Thanks for your offer Brian, I have to talk to the A&P to see what's next.
    I don't have a hanger so I cant work on it.

Really wanted to fly today

Post Thanks / Like

Is hate to count the number of them I’ve made over the years. If you have time to wait, cheaper to buy. For me it always seems like I need it now! Pretty easy to make, but it will take longer than 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bought two yesterday from Univar. had them shipped two day priority. Hopefully the A/P will be able to get my plane in for a few repairs tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Bought two yesterday from Univar. had them shipped two day priority. Hopefully the A/P will be able to get my plane in for a few repairs tomorrow
    couple of helpful hints: I always chase the nut plates with a tap 10-32 as the locking of the nut is too tight and leads to, you guessed it, broken brackets as you push too hard to get a grip on the recessed head, lube threads with grease not anisize for the same reasons, and replace the screws with new if they even might look the slightest bit distorted.

i also dob some RTV in a couple places to stop high frequency vibration that leads to other cracking. I did a write up on this, use the search feature. I'm going blind trying to type this on my phone

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Never imagined that pushing too hard was the cause. But it makes good sense. Worked for a place that did not allow electric screwdrivers. They believed the force and speed caused galling of the threads. Also, if the torque setting on the gun was set too high it always rounded off the screw for the next guy to fight with. So use a normal screwdriver and don't bear down. Thanks for the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

In the end a skilled operator with a screw guy will do less damige then the average with a screwdriver. Almost impossible to keep the stick concentric as you twist with your wrist and most hand drivers are so worn the are part of the problem.

Now I airways croscheck a spinner with the hand tool but all of mine take replaceable tips.

when I first showed in alaska the first thing I was told was not to use my screw gun. I looked at the guy who I thought was a fool anyway and told him to get screwed. Really.

Im my shop a would walk up to one of my crew and ask what the clutch on their tool was set in. House rule was they were not alawed to look. My wrath was the answer for those who couldn't.

In the end it makes more sense to use the power tool... and if you can't use it then you have no business with a screw stuck ether.

rocket