Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Spinner Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Broken Spinner Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Never imagined that pushing too hard was the cause. But it makes good sense. Worked for a place that did not allow electric screwdrivers. They believed the force and speed caused galling of the threads. Also, if the torque setting on the gun was set too high it always rounded off the screw for the next guy to fight with. So use a normal screwdriver and don't bear down. Thanks for the insight.
    Yes, as you push in trying to get traction on the Philops recessed screw you end up bending the tab...
    and the lube keeps the screw from becoming galled: we are using stainless screws right.
    i also put a small dab of torque seal in the head of one screw so I get an eye on it in my pre runup walk around.

Seen about ten spinners fall apart after being miss installed mostly screws that were not tight do to galled threads/nut plates.... I can go on and on

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve become a big fan of JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers for removal and replacement of Phillips head screws. The JIS really grips the screw head and requires less pressure to keep from stripping the fastener head. The #2 fits the 6, 8, and 10 diameter thread screws and the #1 the 4-40 size. I have the #3 JIS as well but did it’s really too big for most screws. The Vessel brand available from amazon and other on line tool suppliers are inexpensive but hold up well.

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Ball-2...TE1F7F683AA23Z
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I removed with a screw gun but prefer installing by hand. 2-3 awls inserted around to line everything up, install all the screws loosly and then go back and tighten.

I save all those old cracked bulkheads to scavenge those brackets off of. It is really hard for me to throw things away. ;(

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless steel screws don't rust, but they bring a lot of problems with them.
    They strip easier and can gall easily as well.
    I use them, but I have paid the price as well.
    Keep Apex bit and really any screwdriver in like new shape or deal with cammed out screws.
    One of my least favorite planes to work in was an early Mooney with a ZILLION screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Valve grinding compound on the tip of your screwdriver works great.

Post Thanks / Like

The USAF shops I worked required a special training signoff for people to be allowed to use power for screw removal only. Installation with power was forbidden. The reasoning was there is no way to consistently torque the fasteners. Some would be loose enough to rattle and some would be grossly overtorqued even though using the same clutch setting throughout. When I was young I scoffed at the notion. Now I forbid using screw guns on aircraft if it is within my power to do so (I have had customers thank me “out of the blue” for this policy). Most general aviation panels are small enough they can be removed or installed nearly as fast with a speed handle which also has the added benefit of never needing recharged.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I had a bracket break, I was at a village in the middle of nowhere, so had to impose on a small engineering shop to get some thin mild steel sheet to cut 2 strips. With some careful drilling and bending I manufactured two identical brackets and used some 8-32 screws and nuts to attach them to the backplate, and 10-32 screws and nuts for the spinner attach. I replaced the one opposite the broken one to try to keep everything balanced. They held out for another 30-40 hours until I could get home and fit the new Univair bracket.
    I never do a long trip without a couple of spares and rivets in my kit.
    I use a battery drill to remove the spinner screws, but use only a slow speed.
    For installation, I use some oil on the screws, get them set by hand, use a drill to get them very close before finishing by hand. I find if I use the drill at low speed, the heat buildup and spalling is minor, if at all.
    A new sharp tip is essential with all stainless screws as they are so easy to butcher.

Post Thanks / Like

Just repaired a couple as I didnít have the correct thickness 4130 plate to make a couple new angle brackets. TIG welded with ER70S dressed and polished out the scratches with scotch bright wheel...then heated the whole part/s to a dull red...dumped into vermiculite to cool slowly..eliminates the formation of martensite crystals by cooling slowly. Riveted back together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro