Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22/20 Landing Incident

Post Thanks / Like

Default 22/20 Landing Incident

Came across this 22/20 landing incident report:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/0...er-n7822d.html
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 22/20 Landing Incident

I always remember my instructor scream stick in your lap and realizing that power could get me out of most anything. I hope he doesn't beat himself up to much. He isn't the first and nor will he be the last.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I never got a CFI. I would be a nervous wreck releasing a new pilot on a challenging tailwheeled plane. My hats off to good CFI's. Even if the best can't eliminate every mistake a student makes. The plane can be repaired.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

gutsy baseball for a guy with 16 hours PIC time in a short-coupled plane like a Pacer, not to mention night, downwind, maybe between medicals ? Doesn't seem like it would take much to total one of these babies. Steve we haven't met but I'm having trouble imagining an instructor screaming at you...

Post Thanks / Like

My tailwheel instructor was a retired Navy Aviation Boatswain’s Mate that screamed, hollered and cussed me. This was supposed to be fun, it wasn’t. Found a very congeal Nortwest Captain and life was good again.

Post Thanks / Like

" I'm having trouble imagining an instructor screaming at you... "

I had an instructor in 1963 that was a Ex WWII AAF pilot/instructor. He was pretty rough talking. I still remember some of the things he yelled at me even today. Ya It does make an impression on a 20 year old I also had a Delta Airlines Captain that gave me instructions in his J3 Cub for free, but did charge $6.50 hr. wet for the Cub. He was an outstanding guy that taught me the basics that I also still use. I bought my 7AC Champ when I had 10 hr. and he was my first passenger. I soloed at 6hrs and probably took him up at 11hrs.
    I couldn't solo the Cub due to insurance so I had to go to a school that had a 150 to solo. That is where AAF instructor was.
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 03-04-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My flight instructor was a no nonsense ex WWII pilot, that we respected. I learned to fly in the mid 60's through the airscouts, flying an almost new C-150. At 19 I bought a J3 and paid an instructor to show me how to land a taildragger. In those days no endorsement was needed. I managed to keep the Cub on the runway 2 of the 3 landings. The next day I found another instructor willing to fly, once in the air he tells me "this is my first time in a taildragger". I had two things going, 1. I was flying the easiest taildragger to land and, 2. I was 19 and still had reflexes.
    Last edited by Stephen; 03-04-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We talked to several instructors when Cathy wanted to learn to fly. I had my first Pacer and we found instructors but no tailwheel instructors. One instructor told me he was an instructor and was a tailwheel pilot but not a tailwheel instructor. I respected that. Ended up having a friend loan us his Tri-Pacer for her to learn in in trade for an annual inspection and some maintenance. Worked out great. She later got her tailwheel endorsement in my Pacer but has never felt comfortable in them. She prefers her Tri-Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

This accident maybe could have been prevented. He is a student pilot and his medical is expired, also as a student pilot he is required to have dual with an instructor at least every ninety days. It had been over a year since he had any dual in the Pacer. It is a shame to damage a nice airplane unnecessarily as a student pilot and shows a lack of respect for training and regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

The flip over accident was 2017

This was last month. Not the one mentioned in that accident report. Same plane.