Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Soon-to-be Owner Purchase Experience

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Soon-to-be Owner Purchase Experience

Hello all!

I am going to be a new owner of a Tripacer here in the near future and I wanted to do a write up of the purchase experience I have had, both with members of this site and the shortwing community as a whole for anyone lurking out there who is thinking about buying a Tripacer like I was.

During the last couple of months, I have spent hours searching for the right Tripacer and this past weekend I was able to find it courtesy of this site and user Allycat. Starting out with no knowledge of the plane I spent a lot of time reading whatever publications and information about them I could find, but there is no replacement for someone who knows the plane when it comes time to give them a prepurchase inspection. Allycat was able to not only perform these inspections well, but he was able to create an awesome learning experience for me. Every item of inspection was presented as more than a box to check on an inspection form, it was presented as a piece of a larger system. This gave me the chance to see not only how components worked, but how each one interacted with other components and the aircraft as a whole. He was also able to teach to my level of understanding (which was low) and then adjust to meet me as I came to understand and appreciate the aircraft more. If he didn't know the answer for a question it was only a short while until he was able to either find the answer or someone who could. I can't emphasize how much I learned and how fun it was to work with him through the searching and pre-buy processes (if you see him around you should also ask to see his beautifully restored Pacer).

Furthermore, he and those who have taken the time to respond to my questions have enabled me to get to where I am today and I would like to thank those folks. I would also like to throw in a plug for EAA Chapter 38 who allowed us to use their hangar for an inspection and to Tim and Karen at VKX who were extremely accommodating when we stopped by their awesome FBO near the DC area (it's worth the 30-minute SFRA training just to visit them!).

All in all, to the folks out there who aren't sure where to start, if you're reading this post then you're at least on the right website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Soon-to-be Owner Purchase Experience

Thanks for posting your experience. Great to hear of a knowledgable member and he was able to help and educate you and you were able to find a good airplane. Can't wait to see Alleycat's Pacer at Sun & Fun. What airport are you basing your Tri-Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your kind comments Garrett. Hope your able to make it to Sun-N-Fun.
    Allycat

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I will be basing it out of CBF up here near Omaha! and Dwayne, I am waiting to see when I will be traveling back to DC, but once I can be sure that won't overlap with sun-n-fun I will try to get down there and let you know my plans. If not this year then next-- I took a look at the events schedule and it looks like a ton of good stuff going on so getting there is definitely at the top of the list.