Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression tester reccomendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Compression tester reccomendations

Kind of heard/read the same thing (.040 instead of .060) but I'm now confused.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Smaller engine, smaller orifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    AC 42.13-1B is an Advisory Circular that provides acceptable methods and practices, but no Advisory Circular is regulatory. Its description on the FAA website, AC 43.13-1B says in part,
    "This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and repair of nonpressurized areas of civil aircraft, only when there are no manufacturer repair or maintenance instructions."

In this case, the Lycoming Service Instruction takes precedence stating "the instructions described herein are based on this orifice which is .040 in. dia." near the bottom of page 1. The Service Instruction doesn't specify bore, so I would take that to mean that the SI applies to all Lycoming engines regardless of bore.

Tom P.
    Last edited by 6PapaWhiskey; 03-12-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The “by the book” answer is we should all be using the .40 orifice on the Shortwing engines. *** deleted the bad info that followed***
    Last edited by Jeff J; 03-13-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a gauge with the .040" orifice that I use on O-235 and O-290s. I have been using the .060" on O-320 and O-360s. Don't mess with might Continentals anymore.

I had a customer drop one set of gauges and my son let the automatic hose real jerk the other one out of his hands. Got them recertified and new gauges from Eastern Technologies. Expensive and their communication skills are lacking. When one of the new gauges was off after sitting in my tool box with no explanation and no response from Eastern I bought a calibrated set of gauges and replaced the pair on my back up compression tester.