Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery issue

I went to fly today and the engine was slow to crank,turned maybe twice and was done. I flew last week and it cranked slow but started I have had a few battery issues with not starting but thought it was because I was messing with radio fiddling with lights and ran it down (I think). And left the switch on overnight once. Amp meter shows its charging. The battery is about a year old but only has a few hours on it ,so it sat a lot and I don’t know if the previous owner had a maintenance charge on it. I assume it’s bad but wanted an opinion before just ordering a new one.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 03-16-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battery issue

Put a slow charger on the battery overnight, then try it.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The midwest had several days of sub 0°F temps this year, if it is a old style like gill 25 those cold temps might have kilt it. The new style sealed batteries live for those cold temps, I think it makes them stronger.

This sealed glass mat is supposed to be a good battery, but before buying a new battery have you looked at your charging system, do you have gen or alt? Have you checked for 14 volts on the battery?https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog...ill7025-20.php

Last edited by SMO22; 03-17-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a conventional lead-acid Gill, ditto on the glass mat sealed battery. MUCH better at not self-discharging so quickly! And the fact that they do not leak is gravy!! (I have the small Odyssey AGM battery. No more re-painting the battery box and belly every year due to leaking.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would fully charge the battery and see what the voltage is at the battery when you try and start it or after charging have it load tested at a local auto parts store. If it is a G35 lead acid battery you can buy a specific gravity tester for a few $ and check if the battery is good that way. If the battery is good then there is more troubleshooting involved.

Post Thanks / Like

I charged it at 2 amps for around 5 hours one of the times I had the issues and tested it with a cheap load tester but have not checked the voltage while running (cover and seat where back in) just the amps on the gauge. I have the generator. Voltage regulator was replaced a few years ago. Thanks for the advice sounds like a standard charging system I have never had anything with a generator and amp guage.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of the Odyssey battery. Finally had to replace it after 8-9 years of flawless use. Never got 1/3 of that out of the standard Gill batteries. The Odyssey are small but mighty.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Did not charge the battery I need better charger,but I did go to check it out. First the voltage read 11.9 volts but plane cranked over and started. After start voltage was 12.04v 1100rpm 12.65v 1500rpm and 14.08 at 2000rpm I used a cheap acid tester that floats with a good to recharge scale and all cells showed recharge.
    I want to charge it with a better charger than I have and I'll check again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats sounds like a good idea, from what you said your generator is working fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    I charged it at 2 amps for around 5 hours one of the times I had the issues and tested it with a cheap load tester but have not checked the voltage while running (cover and seat where back in) just the amps on the gauge. I have the generator. Voltage regulator was replaced a few years ago. Thanks for the advice sounds like a standard charging system I have never had anything with a generator and amp guage.
    I would charge it longer than five hours. 2 amps is not much of a charge. Voltage should come up to about 12.6.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."