Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Battery issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Battery issue

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    I love how everyone on this site uses the "Anecdotal Maintenance Manual" AMM.
    an·ec·do·tal
    /ˌanəkˈdōdl/
    adjective
    adjective: anecdotal
    (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

"I have a friend that was in the Navy"...."I don't remember where I got the 30 minutes from"..."What is the correct specific gravity"

Why not use the "Approved Maintenance Manual" http://www.gillbatteries.com/Content...ice_manual.pdf
    Todd, My comment about my 90 plus year old friend that was in the Navy in WWII was just some trivial info on how they dealt with lead acid batteries back in the day. I thought it was interesting.

I read that manual 20 years ago and used those practices almost daily when we were still using vented lead acid batteries. Most everything I do now is AGM. Did learn they recommend it is proper to check specific gravity 3 times in 3 hours. Glad you are here to shame us into doing things by the book.

n) Completion of charge is indicated by a stable specific gravity reading of
    1.275 to 1.295 (temperature compensated as described in Appendix B)
    taken in three readings over three hours, as described in paragraph 5.2.5,
    Initial Charging Instructions. Use recommended hydrometer.
    A stable on-charge voltage reading may also be used. The battery should
    typically be charged in about 8-12 hours using a constant current charger.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 03-21-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: name

Post Thanks / Like

I learned the hard way how to destroy the little lightweight orange Odyssey battery, I posted this couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Shut down and got distracted with a phone call and accidentally left the master on for about an hour with the nav lights on, the J16 was down to 12.2 volts, normally around 12.7 with a good charge. Did not put a charger on it, I flew it the next day and it started fine but the ammeter was high about 18 amps with nothing on but the radio, the generator was only putting out 13.5 volts for about 15 minutes while the amp draw to the charging battery was high, it stayed about 18 amps for 10 -15 minutes and gradually came down to the normal 3 or so amps, and as the amps decreased the voltage increased to it's normal 14.0 volts gradually as well.

Should the amp draw charging the battery be that high even with a depleted battery condition? I know high charging voltage can damage the battery, I never thought about high current, never saw it that high.

It worked for a few months but it lost its umph, it would die on the second start attempt if I didnt get it going on the first try when the engine was hot. I had to throw the 2 year old Odyssey in the garbage.

Several replied answered the question that the charging system was fine, but one person also mentioned that its better for the battery if you slow charge it rather than throw all those amps at it at once with the alternator. If you leave the master and nav lights on or run battery down some other way, put it on a 2 amp charger over night
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-21-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Battery issue

I made life much easier. Went with the FAA/PMA Power Safe SBS J16 battery years ago. The first one lasted 8 years and my second one is on its 5th year and going strong. I have never had to put either one on a charger. The aircraft alternator kept them charged. No water to add, no corrosion to deal with and saved a bunch of weight too.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-21-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The J16 is the one I toasted after leaving the master and nav lights on for an hour and than starting the plane with it and letting the alternator charge it, that destroyed it, it was a very weak battery after that. I can't believe it went bad after just one incident of getting down to 12.2 volts and than charging it with the plane. It was a good battery while it lasted. Now I have a stronger AGM battery in it, weighs 5 pounds more but has more cranking power and amp hours if I need to run anything and the alternator quits. That is the bad thing about the J16, its a 16Ah battery, if you fly at night needing lights or IFR or run a tablet or gps on ship power, if the alternator goes out having more than 16 Ah might get you back home, the reason I pointed Flyjeep to the new Gill AGM, it has excellent ratings and more Ah than the J16, saving 7 pounds might not be as important as extra juice when the generator goes out

I bought a new AGM battery for my bike, what a difference, it was $99. but I wanted Made in America so had to spend an extra 20 bucks. That 96 cubic inch twin kicked over like it was hooked up to a monster power supply, AGM is incredible, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, that would have thrown me into the next town if I held that crank shaft. Felt like 10 times more power than the old wet acid battery. https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cr...L-Battery.html
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the regulations say about battery requirements?

I wonder if a CAR 3 airplane could run a lithium iron battery.

My Earth-x will just about taxi the plane on the starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    What’s the regulations say about battery requirements?

I wonder if a CAR 3 airplane could run a lithium iron battery.

My Earth-x will just about taxi the plane on the starter.
    Read AC 20-184 if you want an idea about the installation requirements for installing lithium batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a deal on a battery minder and interface kit. Should help.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my pilot buddies is an electrical engineer and knows a lot about the science of aircraft batteries.
    Concord sealed batteries, for example, require a particular smart charger to properly maintain them.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...eryminder.html
    Be careful using the Harbor Freight Battery Maintainer and things like that, could do more harm than good.
    "A $20 charger on a $300 battery can lead to sadness...."

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW: I also have the J16 Odyssey. My plane's been "in the shop" for the past few years so no real in-the-air experience (yet), but that J16 certainly does hold a charge well.

I've also read that heavily discharging AGM batteries will definitely shorten their life (so that's definitely something to avoid), and they do require a different charging profile than LA batteries. Seems most chargers these days have "AGM" settings on them, though I've used my 2-amp motorcycle charger on it with no apparent ill effects.
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 03-23-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heavily discharging any battery is hard on them. Deep cycle marine batteries take it better than most. The Odyssey PC680 in my Thorp is 10 years old according to what is written on it. It has been drained at least twice to my knowledge. It was dead when I went to look at the airplane and it went dead a few months after I bought it. It has stayed charged since I rewired the charging system.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks