Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IA Renewal

Post Thanks / Like

Default IA Renewal

How many of you IA's out there believe 2 major repairs or alterations count as 1 annual for IA renewal?

I was just told you have to do either all annuals or all major repairs/alterations and they cannot be mixed in a one year period.
    Here is what 65:93 says:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of March 14, 2019
    Title 14Chapter ISubchapter DPart 65Subpart D → §65.93

Browse Previous | Browse Next

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
    PART 65—CERTIFICATION: AIRMEN OTHER THAN FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS
    Subpart D—Mechanics

§65.93 Inspection authorization: Renewal.

(a) To be eligible for renewal of an inspection authorization for a 2-year period an applicant must present evidence during the month of March of each odd-numbered year, at the responsible Flight Standards office, that the applicant still meets the requirements of §65.91(c) (1) through (4). In addition, during the time the applicant held the inspection authorization, the applicant must show completion of one of the activities in §65.93(a) (1) through (5) below by March 31 of the first year of the 2-year inspection authorization period, and completion of one of the five activities during the second year of the 2-year period:
    (1) Performed at least one annual inspection for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or
    (2) Performed at least two major repairs or major alterations for each 90 days that the applicant held the current authority; or
    (3) Performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator; or
    (4) Attended and successfully completed a refresher course, acceptable to the Administrator, of not less than 8 hours of instruction; or
    (5) Passed an oral test by an FAA inspector to determine that the applicant's knowledge of applicable regulations and standards is current.

Here is what my PMI just told me:

VOLUME 5 AIRMAN CERTIFICATION

CHAPTER 5 TITLE 14 CFR PART 65—AIRMEN OTHER THAN FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS Section 8 Renew a Part 65 Inspection Authorization

B. Eligibility.

Meeting the requirements of § 65.93(a) does not mean that the applicant has to meet all five of the listed requirements. To be eligible for renewal of an IA for a 2-year period, the applicant must show evidence of:
    1) Performing four annual inspections during each 365-day period prior to March 31 of each year, for a total of eight annuals prior to the renewal date (see Figure 5-99, Sample FAA Form 8610-1, Mechanic’s Application for Inspection Authorization (Renewal by Completion of One of the Activities in § 65.93(a)(1) through (3))).

NOTE: The same logic applies for major repairs and major alterations or training. However, the number of annual inspections, major repairs, and major alterations performed cannot be mixed within one year simply because § 65.93 does not provide for such combinations.

This defies all logic in my mind. But who ever said bureaucrats were logical.

Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: IA Renewal

I am certainly NOT knowledgeable in this area yet I did stay in a Holiday Inn once..... but it does say "show completion of one of the activities in §65.93(a) (1) through (5) below" and by your definition you didn't COMPLETELY meet the requirement of either #1 or 2. By the 'letter' I don't think you met the rule but I would think you certainly did meet the 'intent' IMHO. Good luck thou.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should be able to mix and match but I have had to do 4 annuals or 8 repairs/alterations per year since I started. It was explained to me as all items done for the year could be accomplished in the same month and on the same aircraft (i.e. I can annual the L-4 four times in Dec and be eligible to renew but I wouldn’t want to get caught doing one inspection and pencil whipping the other three) by the head maintenance guy at the FSDO when he issued my first card. I always wondered if some ASI would decide I wasn’t eligible to renew because I seldom do annuals during the 3rd quarter even though I report 6-8 annuals a year on the activity log I turn in. (I do more than 8 annuals a year. I don’t think I have ever reported an alteration or repair on the log. They ask for proof I meet the minimum requirements so I give them a little more than they ask for.)

Maybe a point system would work. 8 points total for the year because it takes 8 major alteration/repairs per year to qualify. Major alteration/repair worth one point with annual inspections worth 2 points since we only have to do 4 of them.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 03-20-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been an IA since 1980. None of the FSDOs I’ve been in have allowed “mix and match”. Either 4 annuals or 8 337s or go to an 8 hour class. Doesn’t make any sense, certainly doing 2 337s would be more worthwhile than an 8 hour class, but then again, it’s the FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was told when I first began that you couldn't do 4 annuals in one month, and be good for the year... you had to do either one annual or two 337s each quarter, but you could "mix & match"...ie 1st quarter could be an annual, 2nd quarter could be 2 337s, etc. If you did an annual and a 337 in the 1st quarter, you could not use that 337 to meet the requirements in the 3rd quarter.

I followed those guide lines for 20 yrs & never got any static, although (probably) I always did at least 4 annuals...I really don't remember for sure.

I have now decided it is just easier to attend an 8 hour, mind numbing, refresher course each year & be done with it; plus you get the card signed & returned right there.

Post Thanks / Like

I do 2 or 3 annuals a year and a couple of condition inspections, which don't count. So I also do the Gleim online refresher course, which only takes a couple of hours to do and you can log in and out and do it a little at a time. You no longer can just do the refresher course as they also want to see activity as well. Also you have to do the Gleim course every year, not just every other for renewal. Technically if you didn't do 4 annuals or 8 337s in the first year or the course, anything you did in the second year is null and void. Guys, I got my IA 2 1/2 years ago and if you think being a pilot or ac owner has a lot of crazy rules to follow, you ain't seen nothing like being an IA. I have a LOT more respect for those that reach and maintain this rating.
    Last edited by Frank Green; 03-21-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Being able to mix and match would make them have to be better at writing the reg and tax their brain determining if you did enough to comply. Pretty simple for them now, either 4 or 8.

Bad thing is they allowed you to mix and match when they approved your previous IA and there are articles from many years ago about mixing and matching. Just another example of bureacracy and how much sense it can make.

Post Thanks / Like

That word "or" is what they are keying on. I use 8 hours of training for renewal no matter how many annuals or 337's I complete. My PMI does not like that either because he says if you don't do so many annuals a year you shouldn't have an IA. I tell him "I did 15 annuals this year, I'm just using the training because it is less paperwork for me to fill out". The training also works for AMT awards which do every year.--Ross

Post Thanks / Like

One nice thing they did for us is to allow someone who didn’t meet the FAA minimum requirements to have an interview (oral test) to get the authorization back. Although, depending upon the inspector, it may be easier to retest.

If the FAA is using the eligibility criteria Gilbert posted of 4 annuals in a 365 day period they cannot dictate what quarter or month of the year the 4 inspections are accomplished.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I moved my base of operations from one FSDO to another adjoining FSDO.
    The one kept looking for ways to get rid of IA’s, as in their interpretation of being full time,
    The new to me one, is more than helpful.
    Huge sigh of relief.
    Dave