Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Prebuy and shopping in the Carolinas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prebuy and shopping in the Carolinas?

Well folks, you have pretty much convinced me that a Pacer is going to fit my mission so unless someone sells me a 4-place Bearhawk for 1/3 its value Iím probably gonna buy a Pacer.

i want to be ready when I see what I want and get as much lined up in advance as possible. Is there a preferred person being used in the SE that offers excellent pre-buy services, if so who?

i will need tailwheel training; short of finding a Pacer to train in, would a j3 or decathlon be appropriate to transition from?

how often to 150+ HP versions come available in the SE (just to manage my own expectations)?

thx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prebuy and shopping in the Carolinas?

This instructor was giving Pacer training in SC:

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...l=1#post108031
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vag C-85

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider a J-3 to be a little tame for transitioning into a Shortwing.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Any tailwheel experience you can get will help. I was flying a Champ when I purchased my Pacer and had almost 300 hours in the Champ plus some time in a Glasair TD and a Pitts. The Pacer still surprised me with its bungee cord gear and being short coupled. However, it is just another airplane and I'm sure after a couple of hours you will get comfortable flying it.

Good luck with your search, the Pacer is really a nice performer and very much under appreciated by the rest of the pilot community.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

My insurance required 2 hours of dual instruction in the Vag before I could solo. I was already grandfathered in for the tailwheel endorsement. Mikey gave me instruction in the Vag. He teaches out of Mooresville NC, here's his website:

http://acrodynamics.org/
    Last edited by rideandfly; 04-02-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vag C-85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rideandfly View Post
    This instructor was giving Pacer training in SC:

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...l=1#post108031
    not sure this guy is still in the game...no response via txt or phone call

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Charleston, and fly primarily out of Walterboro. I recently purchased a 1950 Pacer, and will be finishing my PPL in it. My CFI specializes in tailwheel training. He primarily trains in his C-120 and C-170. He owns a C-195 and a Stearman as well, and has access to a Citabria for upset recovery training. Check out acebasinaviation.com for contact info.