Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-22 vs PA-18 flap hangers

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 vs PA-18 flap hangers

In rebuilding/modifying by STC my wings and chasing part numbers I would like to know why PA-22 flap hanger is designed differently than PA-18 flap hanger?

The PA-22 has a small bend (20-30°) down after it exits the false spar.
    The PA-18 flap hanger is straight like an aileron hanger. What is the reason or purpose behind this difference? In checking part #s of various parts all Pipers use a lot of the same parts and they seemed to be trying to reduce production costs all of the time.
    Thanks, Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 vs PA-18 flap hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    In rebuilding/modifying by STC my wings and chasing part numbers I would like to know why PA-22 flap hanger is designed differently than PA-18 flap hanger?

The PA-22 has a small bend (20-30°) down after it exits the false spar.
    The PA-18 flap hanger is straight like an aileron hanger. What is the reason or purpose behind this difference? In checking part #s of various parts all Pipers use a lot of the same parts and they seemed to be trying to reduce production costs all of the time.
    Thanks, Alan
    Does the PA-18 flap have the aluminum gap seal like the PA-22 has? I looked at my PA-22 and think there might be 2 reasons for the small bend mentioned. The bend moves the flap’s pivot and maybe easier to design plus fabricate that aluminum gap seal for best fit when the flap is fully up. The other reason may be to make it easier for the flap actuator to begin pulling the flap down from the full up position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The false spars are different. The Pacer uses the same false spar for the ailerons and flaps. The Super Cub flap false spar is not concave like the Pacer. Something to do with airflow but someone smarter than me will have to explain that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The false spars are different. The Pacer uses the same false spar for the ailerons and flaps. The Super Cub flap false spar is not concave like the Pacer. Something to do with airflow but someone smarter than me will have to explain that one.
    Piper tried several different ideas. The PA 12 & 14 had a different leading edge on the aileron.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."