Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: pacer fuselage repair and modification

Post Thanks / Like

Default pacer fuselage repair and modification

Need to do SB 819 and other fuselage repair to a 50 Pacer, any other modifications to make while its uncovered?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pacer fuselage repair and modification

You could consider a skylight or a left door.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on what you want to do with it. On my Clipper, with only a few exceptions the order of the day will be weight reduction. Only a couple things that will add weight, anchors for single seatbelts (Clipper and early Pacers has double seat belts), reinforcement between the spar carry through (Clipper upper fuselage is a little different than a Pacer). I can climb across the seats, so I donít need a left door, Iíll stick with brakes only on the left. Iíll most likely go with an alternator system and light weight starter, SBSJ16 battery, given where I live Iím forced into having a transponder & ADSB, but Iíll wait until most of the restoration is done to decide which ones. That market is too fluid right now, and things can change in the avionics world a lot in one or 2 years. I will however weld tabs in the back for a shelf for the ELT and for a groundplane for the elt antenna. Iím also thinking about tabs for an access panel on the belly by the tail like Gilbert Pierce has on his Clipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Really depends on what you want to do with it. On my Clipper, with only a few exceptions the order of the day will be weight reduction. Only a couple things that will add weight, anchors for single seatbelts (Clipper and early Pacers has double seat belts), reinforcement between the spar carry through (Clipper upper fuselage is a little different than a Pacer). I can climb across the seats, so I donít need a left door, Iíll stick with brakes only on the left. Iíll most likely go with an alternator system and light weight starter, SBSJ16 battery, given where I live Iím forced into having a transponder & ADSB, but Iíll wait until most of the restoration is done to decide which ones. That market is too fluid right now, and things can change in the avionics world a lot in one or 2 years. I will however weld tabs in the back for a shelf for the ELT and for a groundplane for the elt antenna. Iím also thinking about tabs for an access panel on the belly by the tail like Gilbert Pierce has on his Clipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíve got a large access panel under mine. Iíd very much recommend that mod if youíre doing a restoration, itís made a lot of things much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the "hell hole" entrance in the bottom aft of the fuselage I had Brian
    make a small access in the back of the baggage area so to get at pulleys and such
    during inspection. Highly recommend the skylite. For ease of maintenance a lot of
    PK screws holding fairings and panels where converted to nutplates, the fuselage in
    particular.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    In addition to the "hell hole" entrance in the bottom aft of the fuselage I had Brian
    make a small access in the back of the baggage area so to get at pulleys and such
    during inspection.
    When ours was rebuilt (before we bought it) they made the whole back wall of our baggage compartment able to open. It's "hinged" along the top by the interior fabric. Then there's screws along the sides and across the bottom. The sides are supported by a channel attached to the permanent side panels and the bottom just screws into the floor panel. I can remove those screws and the whole panel can swing up out of the way and access everything back there. in our case, ELT, strobe power supply, pulleys, etc.