Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken wheel (rim) on my pa16

Post Thanks / Like

Default broken wheel (rim) on my pa16

Hi guys,
    wanted to share this and see if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them.
    I was towing my clipper out of the hangar when suddenly the side rim and side lock ring exploded off the wheel. It has (or had) 8.00 x 4 wheels, tires and tubes and disk brakes. I had 16psi in the wheels.
    I got help with limping the airplane back into the hangar and started checking what had happened. The groove for the side lock ring had snapped off.

Has anyone here seen this before and can tell me why it happened? I didnt see anything unusual last time I took this apart to put in new tubes and did not need any force.
    Also, should I be looking for some other type of wheel instead of the type I currently have?

wheel1.jpgwheelbr1.jpgwheeltire1.jpg
    Last edited by JohnD; 04-12-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: broken wheel (rim) on my pa16

After a lot of help from Google and many other websites I found this text about these wheels;

"Numerous aircraft are fitted with B.F. Goodrich/Hayes Models 840 and 841 4" wheels, including most of the earlier Piper aircraft such as the J-3, J-5, PA-11, PA-12, PA-15, PA-16, PA-17, PA-18, and PA-20.
    In recent years, replacement parts for these wheels have become increasingly difficult to obtain. Failure of these wheels at the wire snap-ring groove are increasing in frequency due to their aging and repeated maintenance."

Post Thanks / Like

One of the wheels I received with my L-4 had a break similar to that but there was still enough left to hold the tire. I came across some spares at an auction last year so I bought them to ensure I would have parts to keep it original for a while if what is installed failed.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

well, after experiencing this and seeing how the tire went almost completely off I have decided to replace both wheels with something else. I am really glad this happened outside the hangar and not during landing/take off.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Roby Grove at Grove Aircraft makes new 800x4 wheels because of this and the corrosion found when the brake drum is drilled off the install the disc for his conversion. I have some spare original wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

The maintenance manual for the Hayes wheel has an inspection table that details cracks. It does not have the frequency, i.e. 100 hour, annual.

I would recommend that if you run the Hayes wheels, it should be added to your annual inspection list as well as add dye penetrate process to catch cracks before they go the whole circumference of the wheel.

Steve, do you want an electric copy of the Hayes manual?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good tip. I don't know if it's just me or not but I can't make out anything useful from the pictures of the manual that were posted
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will order the ones from Grove. I already have the disc brakes from them.
    But to you know whether I can possibly fit bigger tires on these wheels? just in case if I feel like it after few years..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    The maintenance manual for the Hayes wheel has an inspection table that details cracks. It does not have the frequency, i.e. 100 hour, annual.

I would recommend that if you run the Hayes wheels, it should be added to your annual inspection list as well as add dye penetrate process to catch cracks before they go the whole circumference of the wheel.

Steve, do you want an electric copy of the Hayes manual?
    Yes, I would like an electronic copy. You can go "Advanced" and upload it here or email me steve@shortwingpipers.org that would be great.