Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Insurance question

A friend of mine is considering moving his airplane to a hangar at an airport closer to his home. The airport is requiring him to provide proof of insurance and are also requiring him to add the city and airport to the named insured on his aircraft insurance policy. I have never heard of this before. I guess I understand them wanting to know the airplane is insured, but I don’t like the idea of having to list them as named insured on his policy. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is this common practice?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Insurance question

Is it a public or private airport? Private hangar? He may need an aviation lawyer to interpret the laws to the airport manager if they are just making up their own rules that are illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

It has become a very common practice. Now besides being named on the insured policy, they are also
    writing waivers into hangar lease contracts that relieve them further from liability.
    Mostly their desire is to prevent the insured from sueing the airport/FBO.

I disagree with the practice but was forced to sign if I wanted to keep hangar space.

Post Thanks / Like

You should ask your insurance broker what the ramifications of this is. When I was flying for South Wings as a volunteer it was required for me to name them as a named insured. It cost nothing and after my insurance agent explained it I quit worrying about it.
    Come back here and tell us what he says.

Post Thanks / Like

In the same boat. I had to name the City and the FBO as additional insured. City would no longer renew lease. It came shortly after the FBO nearly burned down the main new terminal building.

Post Thanks / Like

At my airport, we're required to name the city/airport and provide that proof of insurance. I don't think it added to my premium, and I agree with the others: It seems to be more common now. Both airports I've been based at required this same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing up here in the Great White North. The County of Red Deer(owner) has to be named on the Hangar policy

Post Thanks / Like

Well i guess it’s good to hear that this isn’t an uncommon practice. I’ve never had to deal with these issues at my small town airport. Our hangar arrangements are made based on a short discussion and a handshake. I will report back with what he hears from his insurance company, but it sounds like they shouldn’t have an issue if it’s this common.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

My private airport requires it and that my policy covers liability in my hangar in case some one was to get hurt in my leased hangar on their property. Reasonable enough, somebody trip over a tow bar or something.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall the hangar being mentioned on my aircraft policy. The last time I checked on it, probably 15 years ago, all hangar issues fell under my homeowner's and/or renter's policy. I really can't see the aircraft policy covering a building for anything other than a ground mishap directly involving the aircraft anymore than I can see my auto policy covering my garage burning down because my freezer shorted out or someone tripping over a rake.