Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jim Younkin

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jim Younkin

I’d like to get ahold of the Mystery Pacer. Parked next to Jim and the Pacer at Blakesburg several times and had many conversations about the speed mods. He wanted to put a an autopilot in my Clipper. He whipped out a pocket notebook, sketched an attachment to my stick and a quick disconnect ball and socket mount. He said “if you have an accident just kick the unit off the mount and the FAA will be none the wiser.” That drawing is permanently imbedded in my brain.

He told me he would shove the Mystery Pacer throttle forward at Fayetteville, Arkansas and climb to 7500’ and cruise at 160 mph indicated and only pull the throttle back when he started his descent into IA27.
    Jim came to our local EAA chapter meeting and did a metal working demonstration. He was a real sheet metal craftsman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talked to him at length about the Mystery Pacer mods. he gave me a lot of insight. He told me he was looking for a Clipper and couldn't find one so settled with the Pacer.

https://video.eaa.org/detail/video/3...---jim-younkin

Post Thanks / Like

Jim was a dear friend, have known him and his family for some 50 years. Got to fly one of the Mulicoupes, and the SM8A when he had it. He offered to make new landing gear fairings on my Howard when he saw the cracks on mine. Talked at length about the Mystery Pacer, Mr. Mulligan, auto pilots, and many other subjects. He will be missed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk