Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Spinner fitting question

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Spinner fitting question

I ordered and received a U14422-000 Univair spinner for my PA-22 150. It is too small. I didn't order new forward and aft plates as my originals were in perfect condition. Problem is, my new spinner has a folded over doubler on two of the holes and it won't seat properly. My existing spinner didn't have the double thickness in these spots, but I think it needs it as these are the two holes with cracks. We had my IA's hands, and my hands, and another A&P (six hands on!), all trying to shove it on and poke pegs and drift punches into the screw holes to ensure it lined up and we couldn't get it to fit without making modifications. Should I return it? Any secret to this?
    Thanks.
    Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Spinner fitting question

Pictures please. I have replaced a lot of spinners, backing plates both front and rear and never had an issue mixing and matching new and old parts. The original Piper spinners had a lot of material on the other side of the wire forming the opening. Univair had a time period where they trimmed that area to much and cracking was a result.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve let me know if the pictures in the previous post show the issue adequately or not. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

0F6E5208-16F3-4942-B32D-9286630310CD.jpg3A0BE2E0-E62C-4FB9-91B3-999445A9D355.jpg The plates are original as far as I can tell. The spinner that was on there has dimples on every screw hole where the outer mold line was almost too big. And to tighten each screw pulled down a sort of crater into every screw hole. The new spinner from Univar is just too tight and you can see the folded over areas over the wire bead have been extended to create a double thickness on two of the holes which reduces the internal diameter at those two points. Should I just return it to Univar and go somewhere else to buy a spinner? Or, is there a trick to making this one fit? Also, the previous comments I read suggest that welding the cracks in the old spinner may not fix the problem because of localized heat treating affects which can allow cracking to manifest just beyond the weld. Perhaps heating the whole thing and a kneeling it in an oven following welding would normalize the material. Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had an issue welding Piper spinners. They are most likely 3003, so no heat treating issues. Clean and clean some more until bright shiney metal with a stainless brush that's never seen carbon steel. Then clean some more with acetone. Weld wit 4043 or 4047 rod and for best results, back purge with argon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, to my eyes the forward plate is not factory formed. Take a look at he roughness of the flang.

It might be worth finding one on your field to compair it with.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Rocket may be right -- mine is quite smooth all around the flange, at least smoother than the one above. Ill get a better pic later.

DSC07298.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That front bulkhead does not look like any I have seen. I have never had an issue lining things up with all kinds of combinations of Univair and original parts.
    IMG_20190528_075409.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thanks guys. I was about to send back the spinner, but perhaps just change the front plate. I'll talk to Univair. Thanks again.
    -Subsonic