Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Needed: knowledge and maybe parts for cabin air

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needed: knowledge and maybe parts for cabin air

Does anyone have pictures and/or an explanation of how the cabin air supply works?

I'm trying to work through how my new airplane works, and I may be missing some parts, or I might just not know the thing works. I've searched the entire internet, and haven't found anything that helps, so either I'm searching wrong, or it isn't a commonly photographed part (imagine that!). Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Needed: knowledge and maybe parts for cabin air

Google this and you will find several threads with pictures, drawings and descriptions. "cabin heat site:shortwingpipers.org"

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I looked at the threads I found using that google search, and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'm not looking for the heat side (yet), I'm just looking for how the fresh air side works.

I've got a box in the side of the airplane (forward of the pilot's left knee) with a door that opens, the knob is on a screw and it looks like you are supposed to be able to adjust it.

It looks just like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-TriPa...0e48%7Ciid%3A1

It looks to me like there is supposed to be something attached to the box on the inside of the airplane cabin. There's a hinge-looking thing on the forward side, but nothing attached to it (just like the ebay listing) but there is a little aluminum hook attached to the screw that goes through the aluminum strap that attaches the knob to the door.

I'm sorry, I didn't get pictures! I really did mean to when I was out there today.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be a push pull cable attached in the center of that door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You're talking about the cabin fresh air intake, yes? There should be knobs on the lower section of the instrument panel, with a cable attached to the fresh air doors. Here's a pic of the one on mine for the right side, located beneath the fuel gauges:

heater ctrl lettering-1.JPG

You might also scroll through the "Show us your Panel! (pics)" thread-- on some of the pics you can see the air vent knobs.
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 10-17-2020 at 04:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

And here area couple of pictures of the vent and you can see the cable coming into it from the front. The knob is to allow you to latch it shut but I've not used it. We just pull the knob from the panel and it holds it closed.
    Vent2a (1).jpgNew Picture.jpg
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I was incorrect above -- the air vent on the left does NOT use a knob on the instrument panel with a cable attached, but rather a short solid rod attached to a knob just inside the plane on the --what we would call in the automotive world-- the "kick panel."

I only today had a chance to take a look at it, but didn't get a pic -- but it looks just like above, with a short, solid, curved rod attached to the knob and running to a pivot point on the vent door. It can be locked in place in either the closed or open position by means of a piece of sheet metal that extends just inside the vent opening with a notch in it. You can see it on the left side of the vent opening in the pic above.

The curved rod can either be pulled (to close) with a spot beneath the knob locked into the notch, or pushed (to open) and the head of a screw on the top of the knob slipped into the notch on the left to hold it open. --If you look really closely, you can just make out the phillips screw in the top/center of the black knob.

So it sounds as if you're missing the knob, curved rod, and maybe the hinge point(?). I'll try to get some close-up pics later, if you'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

My fresh air vent works the same as Smcnutt described. Knob on the lower right panel opens and closes for cabin fresh air. The vent door itself has a knob as shown that can be seated to seal it closed when not in use. However, my panel knob is able to latch the lower knob when closed.

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0887.jpg

Hmm...

Mine looks a little different, but it could just be a perspective issue. What you see is all there is, no cable anywhere that I can see. Mine looks like the rod in the middle is an angled bar, and the picture posted above makes it look like it is straight (?).

I'm guessing that hook thingy is not part of the original vent.

Yes please, if you want to take some close-ups, I'd be grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

Yours looks the same as mine. Cable comes through the hole at the top of your picture and the cable sleeve is anchored via a clip to the metal tab with the hole. The cable itself attaches to the knob bar. Look at smcnutt’s picture. It shows the cable and all. However, that hook thingy looks like either something added or broken, can’t tell by the pics