Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Needed: knowledge and maybe parts for cabin air

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needed: knowledge and maybe parts for cabin air

I think it's added.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem; I'll be going back down to the hangar tomorrow. Gotta start pulling baffles, getting ready to pull the engine.

Walt

My A&P/IA guy & my now "naked" plane....
    DSC09094.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the hangar at lunch and got some more pictures of our vent. Hope it helps.
    Vent Closed.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    Vent 2.jpg
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

The knob on the vent door can be popped into the latching slot to "lock" it so bees and bad weather cannot easily enter the cabin.
    If necessary, adjust the knob so it is just tight enough to hold the door in closed position (flush on outside) without being difficult to operate while flying.
    To open, Just pop it off the latching slot, then operate the push-pull cable.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

The cable is stiff enough on our that once it's pushed the door closed, it's not going anywhere.

One thing I'm confused about is the hinge knuckles on the right side of the box. Almost as if there could be a secondary door on the inside but I have no idea why you would.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    One thing I'm confused about is the hinge knuckles on the right side of the box. Almost as if there could be a secondary door on the inside but I have no idea why you would.
    Some had an inner deflector panel on that hinge, mine does, it has top/bottom wings that snap into the dents in the box.
    It does not have a closed position, just defector engaged or flopping around.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nogoodusernames View Post
    Attachment 17946

Hmm...

Mine looks a little different, but it could just be a perspective issue. What you see is all there is, no cable anywhere that I can see. Mine looks like the rod in the middle is an angled bar, and the picture posted above makes it look like it is straight (?).

I'm guessing that hook thingy is not part of the original vent.

Yes please, if you want to take some close-ups, I'd be grateful.
    Only difference is yours is locked closed with the locking knob and it looks like someone added the thin strip of aluminum. You need a control cable and a clamp.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be silent for so long, but thanks all for the assistance! The pictures really help.

I went and flew with my CFI today (I'm still a student, and certainly not yet competent to fly solo in this airplane) and was fiddling with various things under the cowl and in the cabin. There are several little issues like this I need to get taken care of.

For those of you who are going to the airport in the near future (or noticed already)... how is your push/pull control cable (for the cabin air) routed? Does it go forward of the firewall?

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine goes from the knob to the upper part of the firewall under the glare shield and runs along the firewall and curves gradually to the vent. Basically a big loop from knob to vent along the upper part of the firewall behind the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

That's kinda what I was thinking, but there are a couple of holes in the firewall for other controls (and would match up with where this cable is supposed to end up), so I wasn't sure if this one was supposed to use them too.

I'm assuming the rule of thumb is that if it doesn't absolutely need to go through the firewall, it doesn't.