Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad end to a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad end to a good day

Had a bad end to a fly in breakfast we attended this weekend, the gusty weather showed up a few hours early and greeted me with a nice 16G22 crosswind. Carried some extra speed into the flare and tried to get the into wind main down first but caught a gust that blew me sideways off the runway. Went to go around as I was rolling through the grass but didn’t get the climb I was hoping for at 36 degrees and I was headed right at the control tower terminal and warehouse just north of the runway. Decided to just shut it down and try and stop it. Ending up rolling onto a neighbouring taxiway where the right main caught the edge and folded up going about 20-30MPH. My son was excited to see the fire trucks, I was not. Looking for advice on repair ideas and suggestions. I’m in owner maintenance in Canada and can use experimental parts/ non stcd pieces.

let me know your thoughts!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad end to a good day

I am sorry to see that!
    Looks like your decision making was good and your son has a great attitude - way to see the bright side! What a memory!
    One day you may smile looking back.
    It is a strong point of our sturdy birds - they can be fixed and returned to service.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to ebay right now. This morning I saw a set of wing struts up for bid, no bidders and about a day left for $100

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Sorry to see these. You'll also find the step and exhaust flattened too, hopefully easy remedies. I see the prop tips are gone too, you think you'll be opening the engine as well?

The struts mentioned above seem to be very reasonably shipped too, a touch over fifty bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-PA22-...edirect=mobile
    Last edited by Jim; 07-11-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for a reply from my insurance company, it had a brand new whirlwind on it with 5 hrs and the blades just sheared off, regardless I’ll be opening the engine up and doing the prescribed lycoming inspection. Exhaust is crunched but might just be the lower portion, we’ll see. Going to look at it better tomorrow.

thanks for the info on the struts, I’ll find some sealed units while it’s down for repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! Wonder if Eddie Trimmers PA20 gear reinforcements could be used on PA22 gear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Dang! Wonder if Eddie Trimmers PA20 gear reinforcements could be used on PA22 gear?

Im wondering the same thing, it’s a 58 pa-22 with the univair conversion. I wonder if the trimmer legs would fit the mounts. The trimmer conversion on your account pane looks great! At $1800/leg the trimmer STC makes great sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVader View Post
    Im wondering the same thing, it’s a 58 pa-22 with the univair conversion. I wonder if the trimmer legs would fit the mounts. The trimmer conversion on your account pane looks great! At $1800/leg the trimmer STC makes great sense.
    Mark is thinking the tube brace mod that Eddie has done on a lot of -20 and -22 conversion gear legs... Welds in a tube mid point of the streamline tube to midpoint of the rear main tube... The PA-18 gear STC is a completely different mounting that requires lots of welding in the airframe.

Since you are basically experimental with the owner maintenance I would be tempted to look into the TK-1 gear as seen here https://store.tk1racing.com/ProductD...uctCode=PACER1.. Its a bolt on installation with the cabane system, would be stronger than the Univair system.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Mark,
    I looked at Eddie's website, and the only landing gear STC was for converting a PA-22. Can you point me in the right direction for the reinforcement STC?
    Gracias!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    Mark,
    I looked at Eddie's website, and the only landing gear STC was for converting a PA-22. Can you point me in the right direction for the reinforcement STC?
    Gracias!
    Not an STC… Field approval only… have been able to get it on a couple but don’t know if it could be done again now days..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk